Sprained wrist, coding is going to a hit

Robert Osfield

Aug 8, 2022, 2:54:01 AM8/8/22
to vsg-users : VulkanSceneGraph Developer Discussion Group
Hi All,

This weekend I sprained my right wrist, it's bad enough the I can't type or hold anything with my right hand. I'm right handed so having to use my left hand ain't too productive.

I will take this week super easy.  Hopefully can get back productive state next week.

Thanks for your patience,
Robert

Roland Hill

Aug 8, 2022, 8:05:49 AM8/8/22
to vsg-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert,

Sorry to hear that - I hope it's not too painful and heals quickly.

Cheers,
Roland

Hamid

Aug 8, 2022, 8:51:46 AM8/8/22
to vsg-users : VulkanSceneGraph Developer Discussion Group
Hi Robert,

I hope you get well soon. Take care of yourself and get enough rest.

Regards,
Hamid

Bruce Clay

Aug 8, 2022, 10:56:22 AM8/8/22
to vsg-...@googlegroups.com
Rest up and give it time so it does not turn into a long term problem

Raymond de Vries

Aug 8, 2022, 11:27:44 AM8/8/22
to vsg-...@googlegroups.com

Jaume Faus

Aug 9, 2022, 3:24:12 AM8/9/22
to vsg-...@googlegroups.com

Ouch, sorry to hear that. Take care of it properly and give it enough time to heal, Robert.

Best wishes, Jaume.

The information contained in this message and/or attached file(s), sent by ICONIQ LABS SL, is confidential/privileged and is intended to be read solely by the person(s)
to whom it is addressed. We hereby inform you that your data will be incorporated into the processing system owned by ICONIQ LABS SL, and that, provided it complies with
the requirements included in the law, you may exercise the rights of access, rectification, limitation of processing, deletion, portability and opposition by sending your
request to the post address C/ L'ALGUER, 8 CP 46022 VALENCIA or to the email address gd...@iconiqlabs.com.

If you read this message and you are neither the intended recipient, employee or agent in charge of delivering the message to the recipient, or if you have received this
message as the result of an error, we hereby inform you that distributing, sharing or reproducing any part of this message is completely forbidden and may be illegal. As
a result, we request that you immediately inform us of the error and return this message to the address mentioned above. Thank you.

La información contenida en este mensaje y/o archivo(s) adjunto(s), enviada desde ICONIQ LABS SL, es confidencial/privilegiada y está destinada a ser leída sólo por la(s)
persona(s) a la(s) que va dirigida. Le recordamos que sus datos han sido incorporados en el sistema de tratamiento de ICONIQ LABS SL y que siempre y cuando se cumplan los
requisitos exigidos por la normativa, usted podrá ejercer sus derechos de acceso, rectificación, limitación de tratamiento, supresión, portabilidad y oposición/revocación,
en los términos que establece la normativa vigente en materia de protección de datos, dirigiendo su petición a la dirección postal C/ L'ALGUER, 8 46022, VALENCIA o bien a
través de correo electrónico gd...@iconiqlabs.com

Si usted lee este mensaje y no es el destinatario señalado, el empleado o el agente responsable de entregar el mensaje al destinatario, o ha recibido esta comunicación
por error, le informamos de que está totalmente prohibida, y puede ser ilegal, cualquier divulgación, distribución o reproducción de esta comunicación, y le rogamos que nos
lo notifique inmediatamente y nos devuelva el mensaje original a la dirección arriba mencionada. Gracias.

bugway

Aug 11, 2022, 6:39:57 AM8/11/22
to vsg-users
Hi Robert,

Sorry to hear that. Take care.

Cheers
Hui

From: Robert Osfield <robert....@gmail.com>
Date: Mon,Aug 8,2022 2:54 PM
To: vsg-users : VulkanSceneGraph Developer Discussion Group <vsg-...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [vsg-users] Sprained wrist, coding is going to a hit

Robert Osfield

Aug 12, 2022, 8:08:26 AM8/12/22
to vsg-users : VulkanSceneGraph Developer Discussion Group
Thanks for all the support folks.

This week I've got on the best I could protecting my right wrist, typing etc with my left hand.  Not productive but got a bit of work done.

6 days in I was was getting clearer that the nonlinear profile of pain wasn't consistent with a soft tissue injury and it was time to take myself to the experts...

So it turns out I've fractured my wrist and it'll take around 6 weeks to heal...

wrist.jpg

I have to avoid overloading my left wrist as I don't want to end up with a serious bout of RSI to compound things.

This all means 1.0 will have to wait a bit longer.  Realistically September now.

I will also need to reduce how wordy I am with support on vsg-users so if others can chip in where they can this would be very much appreciated.

Robert Osfield

Aug 15, 2022, 1:33:48 PM8/15/22
to vsg-...@googlegroups.com
Today the fracture clinic reviewed my x-rays and decided they needed to "reset" the fracture and put on a cast. After 9 days of healing the "reset" was a bit brutal, even with gas and air it was fecking painful.

PXL_20220815_132759064.jpg

My wrist is now set in a bit off an odd angle, but the post procedure x-ray pleased the consultant so he thinks I am now better set for recovery. I'll have the cast on for 5 weeks, so will not be able to work normally till the last week of September.

PXL_20220815_171624603.jpg

I have far less movement than I did with the small wrist splint and with newly rebroken radial bone I have lost use of my right hand completely, at least for the next few days.

While I'm back in quite a bit of discomfort, worse is the frustration with not being able to just wrap up the VSG-1.0 in the couple of weeks. Arrrrr.

I will continue working, but at a slow rate.  This week I will be particularly slow as I am back to square one.  Hopefully by the end of week I'll have found a rhythm of work that is sustainable.

What I am considering is doing individual or perhaps group Zoom calls to touch base with folks.  Potentially doing online consulting sessions might be a good way of doing something productive with my time as straight coding work will need to be pursued with far less intensity until I'm fully healed up.

Cheers,
Robert.

Don Burns

Aug 16, 2022, 2:12:03 PM8/16/22
to vsg-...@googlegroups.com
OMG, Robert.   STOP TYPING!!!!

v.v.balashoff

Aug 16, 2022, 4:32:55 PM8/16/22
to Robert Osfield
Hello!

 Please, take care of your arm! No unneded typing. All projects can wait, but health is not.
Meanwhile you can create audio podcast and literally say about vsg projects: goals, plans, why is it better than osg, and so on. It'll be interesting to hear it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.
Aug 31, 2022, 9:14:17 AM8/31/22
to vsg-...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I went back to hospital this morning for a check up x-ray to make sure my radius bone is progressing fine. x-rays looked OK, but as original cast was very uncomfortable they replaced it with a lighter weight one which is more comfortable and less cumbersome.

PXL_20220831_114630324.jpg

As I can't rotate my right wrist at all and it's set at an inclined angle I've got myself a split keyboard, and then made a small wedge for my apple trackpad to incline it into the plane of movement I can handle.

Still not able to work many hours per day, but at least have a bit of capability to tinker a little as long as I have plenty of breaks.  The new cast will be on for another 4 weeks so this will be my life through till the end of September.

Which sucks. It's already been 3.5 weeks since I broke my arm so the prospect of another month is so dang frustrating.

Cheers,
Robert.

Don Burns

Aug 31, 2022, 11:30:13 AM8/31/22
to vsg-...@googlegroups.com
Hang in there, Robert!  We appreciate your work. Enjoy the rest.

Chris Hanson

Aug 31, 2022, 11:46:36 AM8/31/22
to vsg-...@googlegroups.com
We could all brainstorm hobbies you could learn that can be done one-handed!

Robert Osfield

Aug 31, 2022, 11:57:50 AM8/31/22
to vsg-...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 31 Aug 2022 at 16:46, Chris Hanson <xe...@alphapixel.com> wrote:
We could all brainstorm hobbies you could learn that can be done one-handed!

I'm up for a challenge :-)

Raymond de Vries

Sep 1, 2022, 1:43:50 AM9/1/22
to vsg-...@googlegroups.com
Ouch, take care Robert. I like a previous idea from someone (don't recall who, sorry) about podcasts in which you explain things :-)

Or just sit in the sun, after all the hard work?

"François Cami"

Sep 1, 2022, 4:40:44 AM9/1/22
to vsg-...@googlegroups.com
Take as much time off the screen if the weather allows it?
Maybe rent a recumbent trike with all controls on one side. FWIW there's a recumbent trike shop in Glasgow (no endorsement).

At any rate, prioritize rest for this arm as the better it heals, the better it'll be afterwards!

Robert Osfield

Sep 28, 2022, 9:36:30 AM9/28/22
to vsg-users : VulkanSceneGraph Developer Discussion Group
Today I went along to the fracture clinic and they removed the cast, took and x-ray and gave me instructions on how to rebuild strength. Wrist is stiff and store if bent too far, and weak so it's going to take a while before I'm back at full strength - like will take another 3 months.

Skin needs some TLC too, as I currently like a wimpy version of the Thing from the the Fanstatics Four.
cast_off.jpg

Workwise I've been pretty productive the past few weeks, I've been so busy that I haven't had a chance to keep everyone informed about the new features now checked in, so I'll need to catch up on this over the coming week.

I'll also need to wrap up my present VSG tasks, merge submissions and then coordinate with community with testing and shaking the VSG down for it's 1.0.  Perhaps go for this in October.  Client work has ramped up over the past couple of weeks and will continue so I'll need to juggle release work with other work.

While I'm working again I'll need to take care not to overdo it.  Thanks for all the support and patience in the last 7 and half weeks since I broke myself.
Robert.

Chris Hanson

Sep 28, 2022, 10:06:20 AM9/28/22
to vsg-...@googlegroups.com
Glad you're doing better, sir.

I'm sure you didn't come here for skin & beauty tips, but sugar scrub can help with the gnarly skin. There's lots of hippy recipes with organic brown sugar and oil of some exotic vegan plant, but mix plain white sugar with a vegetable oil (canola, olive, coconut) until it becomes a thick paste. Scrub it on your skin gently as often as you feel like. Helps remove the rough skin and moisturize.

Raymond de Vries

Sep 28, 2022, 10:13:04 AM9/28/22
to vsg-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert,

Glad to hear (or not hear) that the fracture has been healed properly!

I hope your face doesn't match this gentleman:

Your arm would match nicely I guess :-)

Cheers, have a great day!
Raymond

Robert Osfield

Oct 3, 2022, 3:28:22 AM10/3/22
to vsg-users : VulkanSceneGraph Developer Discussion Group
Life in the Osfield household had to handle yet another curve ball.

On the afternoon after I had my cast removed my wife had developed a cough so took a COVID test which was positive.  I tested negative so for the next two days but developed flu symptoms, then on Saturday I too got a positive COVID test result.

My wife is well on the mend thankfully, but I am still coughing, achy and have not slept well.  This morning I think I've peaked so am hopeful I'll get better in the next couple of days,  I've had worse colds than this so while I don't feel great I'm in no danger.

I will take it easy this week but will get on with some client work and do some further work on the DynamicData branch.

Cheers,
Robert.

SHAYNE TUELLER

Oct 3, 2022, 9:40:12 AM10/3/22
to vsg-...@googlegroups.com
Robert

I hope you and yours get feeling better.

Shayne

Robert Osfield

Oct 4, 2022, 5:14:01 AM10/4/22
to vsg-...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 3 Oct 2022 at 14:40, SHAYNE TUELLER <shayne....@comcast.net> wrote:
I hope you and yours get feeling better.

Feeling better today thanks :-)

With current progress I expect to be back to normal in a couple of days.  Well except for the wrist, it'll take significantly longer to rebuild back to full strength,...

Chris Hanson

Oct 5, 2022, 1:10:26 PM10/5/22
to vsg-...@googlegroups.com
I don't have any home remedies to suggest to help you. Maybe single malt.

Hope you feel better soon.