Is it feasible to use GUI render pass to occluded scene.

Brandon Backes

Sep 2, 2022, 6:15:43 PM9/2/22
to vsg-users : VulkanSceneGraph Developer Discussion Group
Hi, I've been wondering if it would be a good idea to render the solid GUI elements before the geometry and write to z-buffer.  That way geometry, that is fully occluded by the GUI, does not need to be processed. Is this practical?

Robert Osfield

Sep 3, 2022, 5:57:20 AM9/3/22
to vsg-...@googlegroups.com
 Is the GUI rendered as part of the render, such as bt vsgImGui? If so writes to the z-buffer could be used to set the z buffer so early rejection of fragment processing can happen.

To cull whole geometries you'd need to do an occlusion query that would add an extra layer of complexity.

Brandon Backes

Sep 5, 2022, 2:40:10 PM9/5/22
to vsg-users : VulkanSceneGraph Developer Discussion Group
Excellent! That is what I was looking for. I'll start with implementing that. The Occlusion query might be fun later.