Should we place vsg-users google group with discussion forum on github?

Robert Osfield

Oct 27, 2022, 11:50:05 AM10/27/22
to vsg-...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Over the years github has steadily improved the range of features it supports for repositories and this year it added Discussion support that you can enable for repositories with just a couple of web admin clicks.

Had this facility been available at the start of the VulkanSceneGraph project I would have just enabled it and never had to start up vsg-users google group.  We now 4 and half years worth of discussions on this group which is still a valuable resource.

There are downsides with the google-group, the main one is that countries like China block google groups so a big potential user base won't be able to read discussions and join in themselves.

Discussions being there right in the repo also has its advantages, I like one stop shops where you can go to get the software, report issues, submit improvements and potentially just chat about ideas and ask questions in a way that gets archived in an easily viewable form.

However, I haven't used the github discussion feature yet.  I see that osgEarth has adopted it, do folks here have experience with it?

From my own personal preference, I am always busy writing/debugging software and trying to keep up with discussions, spreading myself too thinly is always a problem so I'd much rather have one discussion forum for the VSG project, so we either stick with vsg-users googlegroup or move to a githuib discussion forum on the VulkanSceneGraph repo and keep the googelgroup around just for keep old discussions archived.

Thoughts?
Robert.

SHAYNE TUELLER

Oct 27, 2022, 12:35:47 PM10/27/22
to vsg-...@googlegroups.com, Robert Osfield
I'm for the move to the discussion forum on github. It's more in line with what others are doing.

Regards

Shayne

Robert Osfield

Oct 31, 2022, 8:34:08 AM10/31/22
to vsg-users : VulkanSceneGraph Developer Discussion Group
Hi All,

I have decided to go ahead with setting up Discussions forum on the VulkanSceneGraph github repository:

My expectation is that we'll have a transition period while we all get used to using the new Discussions forum, then once it's working well change this vsg-users googlegroup into a read only archive.

This ticks off another of my MUST TODO items for VSG-1.0 :-)

Cheers,
Robert.