How to speedup the images matching process obviously?

xinqi Wang

Apr 27, 2020, 4:35:30 AM4/27/20
to VisualSFM
    Hello, everyone. I need help of the Visual SFM matching pipeline.

    In the Visual SFM pipeline, after images loading, it will extract keypoints for each image with SIFT method to output .sift files, this process relies on GPU(My assumption, is it right?).
    Then it will match every 2 images to output .mat files, this process relies on CPU(My assumption, is it right?).

    My question is: I have to admit the matching process is too long when I put over 1000 images dataset into VSFM. It took me 30 hours to finish 1700 images matching process. It is a desperate wait.
    If I want to get model reconstructed from 7351 images of Piccadilly Dataset in link: https://research.cs.cornell.edu/1dsfm/
    It will take me nearly 500 hours to finish the matching process. What a desperate wait!

    At present, my notebook has CPU of Intel Core i7-9750 and GPU : Nvidia GeForce 1660Ti. I do not want to update my device.

    Is there any available approach to speedup the matching process? Apart from changing the parameter param_gpu_match_fmax 8192 to param_gpu_match_fmax 4096 in the nv.ini file in Visual SFM folder.

    Thank you!