2011 OSG Summer School

Scott A. Lathrop

Mar 22, 2011, 3:42:06 PM3/22/11
to VSCSE Petascale Programming 2010
Hello!

We invite you and your colleagues to apply now for the 2011 OSG Summer
School, where you can learn to harness the power of distributed
computing while spending a week at the beautiful University of
Wisconsin-Madison.

During the school, you will learn to use high-throughput computing
(HTC)
systems -- at your own campus or using the national Open Science Grid
(OSG) -- to run large-scale computing applications that are at the
heart
of today's cutting-edge science. Through lectures, discussions, and
lots of hands-on activities with experienced OSG staff, you will learn
how HTC systems work, how to run and manage lots of jobs and huge
datasets to implement a scientific computing workflow, and where to
turn
for more information and help.

The school is ideal for graduate students in computer science or other
sciences where large-scale computing is a vital part of the research
process, although there are a few slots for other applicants. In the
past, we've had students from diverse backgrounds including (and not
limited to):

* Statistics
* Genetics
* Botany
* Geographic information systems
* Biology
* Economics
* Sociology
* Physics
* Computer Science
* And more!

Successful applicants will have all travel and school expenses paid
for
by the OSG. Furthermore, as part of a collaboration with TeraGrid,
students will go to the annual TeraGrid Conference (TG11, July 18–21,
2011 in Salt Lake City, Utah) with all travel and conference expenses
paid.

Important dates:

* Applications Open: Now
* Applications Close: Friday, April 1, 2011
* School Session: June 26-30, 2011

For more information, please visit:

http://www.opensciencegrid.org/GridSchool

Or, email us at: