visit issue: gpu doesn't support 3d texturing

Damien

Jul 9, 2010, 4:40:16 PM7/9/10
to VSCSE Petascale Programming 2010
I have an Nvidia gtx 260. Is this expected??

Yaakoub El Khamra

Jul 9, 2010, 4:41:43 PM7/9/10
to vscse-petascale-...@googlegroups.com

What OS? Do you get a specific error?

Regards
Yaakoub El Khamra

Sean

Jul 9, 2010, 4:46:43 PM7/9/10
to VSCSE Petascale Programming 2010
That is not expected. All GPUs in the last many years support 3D
texturing. Where we most run into trouble with this is in the
installed drivers. Often people are running VisIt with open source
drivers, and that can fail. Our advice is generally to use the
commercial drivers.

-Sean

Yaakoub El Khamra

Jul 9, 2010, 4:49:52 PM7/9/10
to vscse-petascale-...@googlegroups.com

Please note: if you are using the 25x nvidia drivers with a gtx 260 on any 1.8.0.x series Xorg-x11 server you will not get all of the extensions. You have to run 1.8.2 series Xorg or 1.9.0 if you can build it from git.

Regards
Yaakoub El Khamra

Damien

Jul 9, 2010, 5:07:07 PM7/9/10
to VSCSE Petascale Programming 2010
I'm remote viewing my home computer which is running Windows 7 64
bit. I am using Nvidia's drivers.

Yaakoub El Khamra

Jul 9, 2010, 5:09:15 PM7/9/10
to vscse-petascale-...@googlegroups.com

Yeah... remote won't work... Not sure if there is a way to get to work.

Regards
Yaakoub El Khamra

Damien

Jul 9, 2010, 5:10:38 PM7/9/10
to VSCSE Petascale Programming 2010
The error just says not verbatim "your gpu doesn't support 3d
texturing"

Yaakoub El Khamra

Jul 9, 2010, 5:11:55 PM7/9/10
to vscse-petascale-...@googlegroups.com

Are you using VNC or remote desktop?

Regards
Yaakoub El Khamra

Yaakoub El Khamra

Jul 9, 2010, 5:16:28 PM7/9/10
to vscse-petascale-...@googlegroups.com

FYI if you are doing remote desktop, you want to check this out:

Regards
Yaakoub El Khamra