Fwd: Programming Massively Parallel Processors with CUDA

Tom Scavo

Aug 8, 2010, 5:05:14 PM8/8/10
to vscse-many-core...@googlegroups.com
FYI

Programming Massively Parallel Processors with CUDA
http://deimos3.apple.com/WebObjects/Core.woa/Browse/itunes.stanford.edu.3692287061

Sixteen (free) lectures from Stanford University, including a pair of
lectures by Jonathan Cohen and Michael Garland!

Tom

Chris Wilmer

Aug 8, 2010, 5:38:53 PM8/8/10
to vscse-many-core-processors-2010
Weird, you need iTunes to view these lectures? I don't have iTunes, and I'm not sure why it's necessary.

-Chris
--
Chris Wilmer
Ph.D. Candidate

c.wi...@gmail.com
847-380-1583 (cell/office/home)

Tom Scavo

Aug 8, 2010, 5:59:43 PM8/8/10
On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 4:38 PM, Chris Wilmer <c.wi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Weird, you need iTunes to view these lectures? I don't have iTunes, and I'm
> not sure why it's necessary.

This is off-topic but...clearly Apple doesn't buy into the web model
as evidenced by their product line and software stack. Indeed, this is
precisely why Apple and Google have become fierce competitors.

The web model on the desktop is well advanced but it remains an open
question whether or not the web will eventually dominate on the mobile
platform. In the meantime, we're limited by mobile apps just like we
were limited by desktop apps in the 80s and 90s.

Tom

Benjamin Doblack

Aug 8, 2010, 8:48:12 PM8/8/10
On Aug 8, 2:38 pm, Chris Wilmer <c.wil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Weird, you need iTunes to view these lectures? I don't have iTunes, and I'm
> not sure why it's necessary.

Actually, there's several workarounds, the site below describes one
method, I've linked the modified url that uses their hosted script
that emulates iTunes and renders the site as a viewable webpage.

Technobabel Blog post: http://www.fritscher.ch/blog/2009/05/13/browsing-itunesu-without-intalling-itunes/

Link to the videos using the hosted emulation script:
http://www2.unil.ch/itunesu/index.groovy?handle=http://deimos3.apple.com/WebObjects/Core.woa/Browse/itunes.stanford.edu.3692287061

The files can then be downloaded, I'm not sure if they can be streamed
as I have no browser plugin registered to handle the .m4v filetype so
I could not test it. Hope that helps.

Chris Wilmer

Aug 8, 2010, 8:52:23 PM8/8/10
to vscse-many-core-processors-2010
That's perfect, thanks!

Benjamin Doblack

Aug 8, 2010, 8:54:05 PM8/8/10
to VSCSE Many-core Processors 2010
No problem, I fiercely oppose the type of vendor lock-in games that
apple plays, this may be one small victory, but it counts.

On Aug 8, 5:52 pm, Chris Wilmer <c.wil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That's perfect, thanks!
>

> On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 7:48 PM, Benjamin Doblack <xie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Aug 8, 2:38 pm, Chris Wilmer <c.wil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Weird, you need iTunes to view these lectures? I don't have iTunes, and
> > I'm
> > > not sure why it's necessary.
>
> > Actually, there's several workarounds, the site below describes one
> > method, I've linked the modified url that uses their hosted script
> > that emulates iTunes and renders the site as a viewable webpage.
>
> > Technobabel Blog post:
> >http://www.fritscher.ch/blog/2009/05/13/browsing-itunesu-without-inta...
>
> > Link to the videos using the hosted emulation script:
>
> >http://www2.unil.ch/itunesu/index.groovy?handle=http://deimos3.apple....
>
> > The files can then be downloaded, I'm not sure if they can be streamed
> > as I have no browser plugin registered to handle the .m4v filetype so
> > I could not test it.  Hope that helps.
>
> --
> Chris Wilmer
> Ph.D. Candidate
> Chemical & Biological Engineering
> Northwestern University
>
> c.wil...@gmail.com847-380-1583begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              847-380-1583      end_of_the_skype_highlighting(cell/office/home)

Michael Matthews

Aug 8, 2010, 11:52:10 PM8/8/10
to vscse-many-core...@googlegroups.com
If you download iTunes, this iTunes U, and many others, will be free.  I'd say that's a net gain for everybody. =)

I've downloaded these now.  Thanks for pointing them out!

Benjamin Doblack

Aug 9, 2010, 1:11:41 AM8/9/10
to VSCSE Many-core Processors 2010
While I definitely agree with you, that solution does not help
individuals not running Mac OSX or Windows XP/Vista/7. Until Apple
provides iTunes for *nix (aside from OSX) the rest of us are stuck :-/

Fernanda Foertter

Aug 11, 2010, 12:15:12 PM8/11/10
to vscse-many-core...@googlegroups.com
iTunes can run on Wine afaik