Problem on running WordCount with local machine

Rayne

Jul 27, 2010, 7:36:02 PM7/27/10
to VSCSE Big Data for Science 2010
Hi,

I was trying to run the WordCount example on my mac with the following
tutorial:
http://salsahpc.indiana.edu/tutorial/hadoop.html

My problem is that the program has no response after being executed by
hadoop.
I've already enabled the remote login function so that I can ssh
localhost and, I also
changed the large input file into one paragraph.

So I even cannot tell what the problem is. Does anyone has some clue?
Hope
my description make sense.

Thanks,
Rayne

Stephen TAK-LON WU

Jul 27, 2010, 8:09:13 PM7/27/10
to vscse-big-data-...@googlegroups.com
Rayne,

Hope I understand your situation.
first where did you get the hadoop ??

Although the filename are the same, we have modified the package in order to support cluster environment. and it doesn't support standalone wordcount program unless we remove all the environment setting with hdfs-site.xml, core-site.xml and mapred-site.xml.

So, please use the latter package for standalone wordcount, or remove all the environment setting.

I hope this is the part missing in hadoop wordcount exercise 2.

Best,
Stephen

--
Stephen Wu
Pervasive Technology Institute

Rayne

Jul 27, 2010, 9:03:16 PM7/27/10
to VSCSE Big Data for Science 2010
Great. That works for me now. Thanks Stephen.
Rayne