google groups bandwidth policy

Tom Scavo

Jul 28, 2010, 3:30:13 PM7/28/10
to VSCSE Big Data for Science 2010
Just wanted to let you know that google has recently (and quietly)
implemented a bandwidth policy in google groups that automatically
throttles group activity if some bandwidth threshold is exceeded. I
don't know what that threshold is but every indication is that we are
approaching it right NOW as I write this message (7/28 @ 2:25pm CDT).
If things stop working...well, it's because of this policy. As far as
I know, there's nothing that can be done about it except to move
content off the group onto another server. I'll do that as a last
resort only (since I'd rather NOT distribute content across servers).

You can help by downloading content (PDFs etc.) in advance of the
actual presentation. If everyone waits until the last minute, we WILL
exceed the threshold at some point. It happened in the previous Summer
School course and it's not fun, I assure you.

Tom