Building a Vive Tracker

Marwan Badawi

May 5, 2017, 7:36:11 AM5/5/17
to VR-Geeks
Hi VR Geeks!

I am considering building my own Vive tracker as a project in a Maker Space I go to. I was wondering if anyone on this list ever did something similar and if you had any pointers and advice on where to start, the "dos and don'ts", the pitfalls to avoid.

A little Googling turned these small chips up: http://www.triadsemi.com/product/ts3633/
Or even better (but much more expensive): http://www.triadsemi.com/product/ts3633-cm1/

As a start, I am planning on building a simple tracked wand, to familiarize myself with the technology. But eventually, I would like to build more complex stuff, maybe even articulated custom made objects (who knows, maybe even a tracked hand & fingers glove! one can dream...)

Any thoughts and feedback greatly appreciated,

Thanks!

Kosen

Sep 7, 2018, 1:18:06 PM9/7/18
to VR Geeks
Good afternoon Marwan.
It's been more than a year since you email, and I hope you've managed to build your vVve tracker.

If not and if you don"t want to use the "VR TRacker"(link), I advice you to look at this build:

Marwan Badawi

Sep 11, 2018, 11:45:30 AM9/11/18
to VR-Geeks
Hi Kosen,

That project was abandoned long ago (I didn't have enough spare time to do it!). But now, at work, I was looking at exactly the link you sent me because we might need to build our own tracked object (but we might end up using a standard Vive Tracker anyway).

Cheers :)

Marwan