Current recommendations for CAVE GPU's, projectors?

Ben Chang

Mar 31, 2017, 11:19:07 AM3/31/17
to vr-g...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I may have an opportunity to do some upgrades with our CAVE, and I
wanted to check in on the current state of GPU/projector/sync knowledge.

The goal is the typical 3 wall, or ideally 3 wall + floor, active
stereo, running applications in Unity and UE4.

I've always built passive stereo systems, so have less experience with
doing this, so I have a couple questions.

GPU:

My default would be a Quadro, in order to get frame sync'ed 120Hz frame
sequential stereo. The last one I looked at several years back was the
K5000, with the plan of running all four walls from it. I haven't
looked at GPU's in a while - any particular models to recommend?

There was a great thread here a little while ago about using GTX 970's -
how did that turn out? Any ideas on whether a 1080 or Titan would be
usable, or is the Quadro still necessary for frame sync?

Projector:

I may be able to borrow some Digital Projection F35's for this. In
general, though, what specs do I need to be looking at?

- are "PC 3D Ready" and "Full HD 3D" now both compatible for this? I
see projectors out there with both labels that I'm pretty sure work, so
are these basically equivalent now or is this sloppy marketing...?

- do the projectors need additional sync features like frame or color
wheel lock in addition to their 3D capabilities ... and if so, where do
you find that on the spec sheet?

thanks,

--Ben

soufian...@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2017, 9:38:58 PM3/31/17
to vr-g...@googlegroups.com
faze

Vitalii Boiko

Apr 4, 2017, 11:38:22 AM4/4/17
to VR Geeks
you would need quadros for active stereo and sync,
try to get as best hardware as you can if you going to visualize heavy scenes, e.g. 3-5k Drawcalls 3-5mln polygons (not including shadows)

unity and unreal gives shows good results with static lighting which takes more effort in production.
with dynamic light, particles, planar reflections, etc -  you may want K-M6000.

in our case we have 8 active stereo nodes and I already feel that K6000 is not fully capable to drive our scenes.

for projectors you may look for "frame sync-lock, pulse" signal input.

"D 3D SYNC: Reserved for future use"

its unclear whether particular projector you have support it or manufacturer released another revision with support of this ports.

regards,
vitalii