instruction needed of how to host vpython on my own webserver (NOT glowscript)

Horst JENS

Aug 9, 2022, 3:10:06 AM8/9/22
to VPython-users
Dear vpython community,
is there a instruction website/pdf/video of how to host vpython (with full access to the python ecosystem ) on my own webserver  ?

For this special case, I am *not* interested in using glowscript as i want to make use of additional python libs.

greetings,
 -Horst

John

Aug 9, 2022, 8:27:24 AM8/9/22
to VPython-users
Hi Horst

Have you tried running vpython in a jupyter notebook. Here is a description of what a jupyter notebook is after googling "jupyter webserver"

"Is Jupyter notebook a Web server?
The Jupyter Notebook App is a server-client application that allows editing and running notebook documents via a web browser. The Jupyter Notebook App can be executed on a local desktop requiring no internet access (as described in this document) or can be installed on a remote server and accessed through the internet."

And here are instructions on how to run jupyter notebook on a remote server.

See also

You can find out more about jupyter at

See also JupyterHub

You can also run vpython from JupyterHub.

Here are demos of running vpython in a jupyter notebook on a remote server using binderhub which is similar to jupyterhub.

Clicking on the above link will launch jupyterlab in your browser with the server running in the cloud somewhere. Then click on one of the vpython jupyter notebooks on the left hand side such as the BinaryStar.ipynb vpython demo program and open and execute the program. You should then see the vpython program running in the jupyter notebook in your browser.

John

Horst JENS

Aug 10, 2022, 12:57:04 PM8/10/22
to VPython-users
Thank you John, that is very interesting.