python 3.10.9, vpython 7.6.4 - no screen

Radhakrishnan Swaminathan

Feb 21, 2024, 4:22:31 PMFeb 21
to VPython-users
Hi,

I am having a strange problem. I have a laptop with windows 10, python 3.10.9 and vpython 7.6.4 and I have a code that nicely simulates what I have written. I have a new desktop that I built with AMD 8350, with windows 10, python 3.10.9 and vpython 7.6.4. The same code when I run, opens the browser and displays a blank screen. I even tried a simple code to display just a box, still a blank screen.

Any suggestions? Thank you.

Radhakrishnan Swaminathan

Feb 21, 2024, 4:36:21 PMFeb 21
to VPython-users
btw. I am using a conda virtual env and run the code from an anaconda terminal

Bruce Sherwood

Feb 21, 2024, 9:39:14 PMFeb 21
to VPython-users
I suggest the following test:

from vpython import *
print(version) # should be ['7.6.4', 'jupyter']
a = vec(1,2,3)
b = vec(4,5,6)
print(a+b)     # should be <5, 7, 9>

Also, go to https://get.webgl.org/
You should see a rotating wire frame box.

Next, go to https://browserleaks.com/webgl
and report whether both WebGL and WebGL2 are checked True.

What browser are you using?

Bruce

Radhakrishnan Swaminathan

Feb 22, 2024, 9:24:22 AMFeb 22
to VPython-users
Hi Bruce,

TY for responding. webGL2 is not enabled. I am trying to enable it in all the browsers (Chrome and firefox) but they are not getting enabled.

- I see a wireframe rotating in the first link you gave.
- The code piece that you suggested worked as expected.

WebGL Support Detection
This browser supports WebGL ✔True
This browser supports WebGL 2 ×False (supported, but disabled in browser settings, or blocked by extensions)

Regards,
Radhakrishnan

Bruce Sherwood

Feb 22, 2024, 11:43:30 AMFeb 22
to VPython-users
WebGL2 has been supported in all browsers for a long time, and VPython started using WebGL2 a long time ago. Perhaps this suggests that the problem could be with your graphics card, though the message about browser settings and extensions is suggestive.

Bruce

Radhakrishnan Swaminathan

Feb 22, 2024, 11:47:52 AMFeb 22
to VPython-users
Hi Bruce,

TY. I will check. My graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT and the motherboard is AMD 8350.

Regards,
Radhakrishnan

Radhakrishnan Swaminathan

Feb 22, 2024, 12:04:11 PMFeb 22
to VPython-users
Hi,

Tried to get an openGL report with OpenGL Extension Viewer. It says openGL supported is 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, and 3.3. Does it mean, there is no support for openGL2. A little bit confusing for me.

Regards,
Radhakrishnan

Bruce Sherwood

Feb 22, 2024, 2:46:18 PMFeb 22
to VPython-users
That's odd. When I go to the main WebGL site, https://www.opengl.org, I see the latest version is WebGL 2.

Bruce

Radhakrishnan Swaminathan

Feb 23, 2024, 10:43:39 AMFeb 23
to VPython-users
Hi,

Is there any way I can see the error messages that it is not able to draw because of webGL2 etc.., somewhere?

Thank you.

Regards,
Radhakrishnan

Radhakrishnan Swaminathan

Feb 23, 2024, 11:16:44 AMFeb 23
to VPython-users
Hi Bruce,

Thanks a lot for all the help. Basically, I had to turn off hardware acceleration in "chrome" to make this work. Another easy place to check was "get.webgl.org/webgl2". This is the same URL you had suggested with "/webgl2" added to it.

Regards,
Radhakrishnan
Message has been deleted