The Innovator's Prescription

Christopher Bird

Feb 4, 2009, 4:54:06 PM2/4/09
to vpe...@googlegroups.com
Clayton Christenson makes the case in this new (Copyright 2009) book that the healthcare industry in the USA especially is in dire need of disruptive innovation. Typically disruptive innovation is achieved by a company introducing a product into a space where the new product is not "better" than the incumbent products. The idea is not to enable the current "users" of a product to do what they already do but better, but actually to open the product to a whole new group of users. For example the most used features of Photoshop b my generation are the features that allow sharing of photographs. Like a better album. However for people who never really did much with photographs, the editing features are huge. So it has immediately disrupted th old photographic finishing companies. Did V1 do it as well? No, not at all. However it is improving and has improved so much that it is good enough for even high end usage.

So, Christenssen is applying that kind of thinking to the health care industry.

My question/thought to this group is around how to apply VPEC-T to disruptive innovation thinking. Is there a pattern or template that would help think through some of that. After all, the Trust and Policies models for a disruptive innovation are quite different from those of a linear innovation.

Any interest in exploring this line of thinking?

nigelp...@googlemail.com

Feb 17, 2009, 1:19:32 AM2/17/09
to VPEC-T
Can we explore the point you make about Trust and Policies a bit
further? What characterises the differences? Would this be similar to
Prof. Chan Kim's “Blue Ocean” strategy for creating disruptive
markets? As I think about this the Event dimension will be very
different too. This because of the difference in behaviour between
Innovation and Commodity states in a products life-cycle.

See Simon Wardley's blog:

http://blog.gardeviance.org/2009/02/its-all-about-new-technology-not.html