Status Report: Wednesday, August 19th, 2009.

bouvard

Aug 19, 2009, 11:31:41 AM8/19/09
to votersdaily
Good morning everyone,

I wanted to post something to follow up on the issue left hanging in
the original thread regarding Chuancey's PHP scrapers, but I have some
other information as well, so I figured it would be good idea to begin
periodically posting a project update thread--here is the first.

Chauncey and I have been working closely for the last couple days
and have succeeded in integrating his work into the master branch.
Although I had some trepidation about using PHP in the project, the
quality and quantity of his work won me over. To not include it would
have been to violate the DRY principle and to enforce a "not invented
here" mentality. I believe those are the sorts of things which kill
open source projects.

To wit, there is still some cleanup to be done, but the database
schema is beginning to stabilize and we are nearing _one thousand_
data points! I'm trying to update the wiki as we move along, however,
Chauncey's progress has been very fast and my time limited, so there
may be a slight delay in getting some information published.
Additionally, we are now using GitHub's issue-tracker to better
coordinate our work. That is available at http://github.com/bouvard/votersdaily/issues.
If something seems to be broken in the master branch, check there as
it is probably a known issue.

I'm working on developing a roadmap and specifications for an API,
but until those are ready our current focus is on:

- Stabilizing/Formalizing the CouchDB schema.
- Making sure scraper behavior is consistent and relatively fault-
tolerant.
- Building out the set of completed scrapers.
- Determining a standard use-case to drive the formatting of the
'title' and 'description' fields (i.e. headline/body, or some other
consistent metaphor).

I want to thank Chauncey for the incredible amount of work he has
invested in the project this week and for being willing to work with
me to ensure that the project is moving forward in the most efficient
manner possible.

Cheers,
Chris