Screening of Academy Award-Nominated Documentary Film on Radical Environmental Group on Sat. Feb. 25

Lou Posner

Feb 21, 2012, 5:39:32 AM2/21/12
to Voter March

"If a Tree Falls: A Story of the Earth Liberation Front"
Nominated for an Oscar for Best Documentary Film (2012)
Saturday, February 25, 2011, @ 7:00 p.m.
Epifaneo Collective http://www.epifaneo.com/
56 Walker Street, Tribeca, Manhattan 10013
(1 block below Canal St. between Broadway & Church Street)

See the Trailer for the film on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAGxy85R380

“IF a Tree Falls: A Story of the Earth Liberation Front” tells the
remarkable story of the rise and fall of this ELF cell, by focusing on
the transformation and radicalization of one of its members. And along
the way it asks hard questions about environmentalism, activism, and
the way we define terrorism. Drawing from striking archival footage —
much of it never before seen — of dramatic arsons, and intimate
interviews with ELF members and the prosecutor, “If a Tree Falls”
explores the tumultuous period from 1995 until 2001 when
environmentalists were clashing with timber companies and law
enforcement.

Director/Producer Marshall Curry in the New York Times, Jan. 24, says:
“It’s been amazing to me how much overlap there is between the
unfolding story of the OWS movement and the story of the environmental
movement in the 90s. This summer, when the film was first released, it
was a historical film, but suddenly the issues it deals with are
urgent and on the front pages of newspapers every day.”

A Q&A and discussion will follow the film.

Hollywood Reporter, FEINBERG FORECAST: Scott's Final Projections for
the 84th Academy Awards, Feb. 19, 2012,
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/oscar-predictions-the-artist-academy-awards-292628
Prediction for BEST DOCUMENTARY FILM (FEATURE): 1. If A Tree Falls: A
Story of the Earth Liberation Front:
"This wide-open race ... will go to Marshall Curry’s polished, even-
handed look at “eco-terrorism,” a subject of the same social scope and
significance as most previous winners."

Voter March blog, Academy Award for Best Documentary: Our Pick: If A
Tree Falls,, Feb. 19, 2012,
http://www.votermarch.com/2012/02/academy-award-for-best-documentary-our.html
"Time Magazine chose "The Protester" as Time Person of The Year. We
believe that this year's winner of Best Documentary will be the film
that has as its central focus, The Protester...These environmental
protesters, like many of the Occupy Wall Street protesters, are pepper
sprayed while they are engaging in nonviolent direct actions. Similar
to how law enforcement destroyed the Occupy Wall Street encampments,
we see how the Park Rangers destroyed the barricades and tents of the
environmental protesters who were tree sitters protecting the ancient
forests in Oregon... "If a Tree Falls: A Story of the Earth Liberation
Front" is our choice and prediction for an Academy Award for Best
Documentary Feature for 2012, because it is a social justice film that
documents the lessons of history, as we grapple with the current
developments of The Protester."

A donation of $5 is suggested.

Epifaneo Collective is affiliated with I.N.N. World Report,
http://www.innworldreport.net/inn/ a not-for-profit alternative media
organization. For over 10 years, we have been supporting the activist
community through broadcasts, film screenings, speaker events, and
special events.