Fwd: AB 1906, focusing on Persons with Disabilities: Terminology

VOTE HENNY

Jan 25, 2024, 6:12:06 PMJan 25
to vote...@googlegroups.com

Assembly Member Gipson

https://a65.asmdc.org/team-gipson

Tel: (916) 319-2065

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Henny Kupferstein <he...@hennyk.com>
Date: Thu, Jan 25, 2024 at 3:09 PM
Subject: AB 1906, focusing on Persons with Disabilities: Terminology
To: <Doonya....@asm.ca.gov>

Dear Doonya,

I'm pleased to have spoken with you today, knowing that you oversee AB 1906, focusing on Persons with Disabilities: Terminology. It's crucial to consider the sentiments of disabled people, many of whom, like myself, prefer identity-first language over the traditional person-first approach. This preference reflects the evolving concept of neurodiversity and the need for more inclusive terminology.

The American Psychological Association (APA) standards, established in 2013, provide substantial evidence in favor of identity-first language—a change long advocated for by the autistic community. While certain statutes currently use terms like "person with a disability" and "adult with a disability," these can lead to cumbersome language. It's important to note that such terminology can inadvertently promote a disease model, which doesn't apply to conditions like autism.

I propose that we revise statutory language to adopt a more inclusive and neurodiversity-affirmative approach, such as changing "an elder or dependent adult as defined adult with a disability as described" to "an elder or disabled adult." Your positive steps in this direction are commendable, and I invite you to join me in championing neurodiversity-affirmative language in legislation. Together, we can ensure our laws reflect inclusivity and respect for our diverse community. Thank you for considering this matter, and I'm eager to collaborate on these important changes.

Sources:

Sincerely,

Henny Kupferstein, Ph.D.

Henny Kupferstein

Feb 5, 2024, 2:57:48 PMFeb 5
to AAron...@asm.ca.gov, vote...@googlegroups.com
 Aaron, thank you for taking my call this morning.

This is the data for our opposition to AB-2026  Disabilities: person-first terminology. Please don't misrepresent us by claiming we the autistic people have asked for this initiative. Please provide substantive data about the purpose of the bill. We don't need to move back into the dark ages where autistic people are being legislated on how they should call themselves. We have already made progress with setting a national precedent.

We will make our opposition public, unlike your bill which lacks substantive proof that you are advancing our safety and protection forward in time. There are no good intentions when 1-million autistics are ignored while the stakeholders who do not represent the consumer voice, are considered the gold standard in your consultation.

Sincerely,

Henny Kupferstein, Ph.D.
Hennyk.com  &  Doogri Institute