No buzzer noise & nano won't flash firmware

Lisa M

Dec 3, 2018, 9:50:29 PM12/3/18
to Vorpal Robotics Forum
After following the online build video (Part 1) and triple checking all my connections, I got brave enough to flip the switch.

There was no beep sound :(
Lights are showing on the Nano, Bluetooth module, and Servo Driver
The servos make a quick motion and noise but don't spin as long as in the video on the power up

I looked at the trouble shooting guide and thought maybe I needed to flash the Nano.  I tried to flash the Nano (tried Atmega328P and Atmega328P (Old Bootloader) and added the .zip library files.  Neither worked and gave similar errors when I attempted to upload.  I've attached a copy of the error log.

Steve Pendergrast

Dec 4, 2018, 9:17:03 AM12/4/18
to Vorpal Robotics Forum
Hello,

The attachment did not come through, it was empty for me. could you just copy/paste the text directly into a reply to this forum post?

-Steve P.

Lisa M

Dec 4, 2018, 9:50:54 AM12/4/18
to Vorpal Robotics Forum
Arduino: 1.8.7 (Windows Store 1.8.15.0) (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino Nano, ATmega328P (Old Bootloader)"

In file included from C:\Users\lmulzet\Desktop\hexapod\Vorpal-Hexapod-Robot\Vorpal-Hexapod-Robot.ino:4:0:

C:\Users\lmulzet\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Pixy/PixyUART.h: In member function 'void LinkUART::init()':

C:\Users\lmulzet\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Pixy/PixyUART.h:29:5: error: 'Serial1' was not declared in this scope

     Serial1.begin(19200);

     ^

C:\Users\lmulzet\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Pixy/PixyUART.h: In member function 'uint16_t LinkUART::getWord()':

C:\Users\lmulzet\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Pixy/PixyUART.h:40:11: error: 'Serial1' was not declared in this scope

       u = Serial1.read();

           ^

C:\Users\lmulzet\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Pixy/PixyUART.h:46:11: error: 'Serial1' was not declared in this scope

       v = Serial1.read();

           ^

C:\Users\lmulzet\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Pixy/PixyUART.h: In member function 'uint8_t LinkUART::getByte()':

C:\Users\lmulzet\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Pixy/PixyUART.h:60:11: error: 'Serial1' was not declared in this scope

       u = Serial1.read();

           ^

C:\Users\lmulzet\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Pixy/PixyUART.h: In member function 'int8_t LinkUART::send(uint8_t*, uint8_t)':

C:\Users\lmulzet\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Pixy/PixyUART.h:68:12: error: 'Serial1' was not declared in this scope

     return Serial1.write(data, len);

            ^

exit status 1
Error compiling for board Arduino Nano.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Steve Pendergrast

Dec 4, 2018, 11:21:35 AM12/4/18
to Vorpal Robotics Forum
Hello again,

I just downloaded 1.8.7 and it works for me.

I suspect you either have a corrupt Pixy library, or you've downloaded a different version than we've tested with. The version we use is stored in the libraries folder here:

I would download the zip for the arduino_pixy library from that shared public folder, make sure it fully completes downloading. Then import the library again.

Alternatively, the pixy stuff is experimental anyway, you could just comment out the Pixy.h include on line 126.

To do this, just put two slashes in front of it making it look like:  //#include Pixy.h

Let me know if that helps.

-Steve P.

Lisa M

Dec 4, 2018, 7:05:03 PM12/4/18
to Vorpal Robotics Forum
Hi Steve,

I downloaded the Pixy library from the link on the trouble shooting page ...so if it is the wrong version, you might want to fix that link.  I will try the tinurl.com link when I get home later tonight.

Thanks for your quick responses.

Lisa

Lisa M

Dec 4, 2018, 7:17:08 PM12/4/18
to Vorpal Robotics Forum
Steve http://tinyurl.com/VorpalFiles is pointing to the pixy 1.7 which is why that's what I downloaded.

I can't find the 1.8.7 because it isn't at the location you provided.

thanks,
Lisa

vorpalrobotics

Dec 5, 2018, 8:44:03 AM12/5/18
to Vorpal Robotics Forum
Hi Lisa,

I'm sorry, I was unclear. 1.8.7 is the Arduino IDE version. I upgraded to that, removed my prior pixy and adafruit libraries, then compiled the code and it worked fine.

What's posted in the vorpalfiles link I sent is the correct version of Pixy and Adafruit-Servo-Driver libs, and are the ones I tested with.

What I'm theorizing now is that you've got a corrupted set of libraries on your hard drive, and if that theory is correct then reloading the libraries into arduino ide should fix it.

You may have to first remove the folders that hold the pixy and Adafruit libraries. These will be located under C:\users\your-user-name\documents\arduino\libraries and you can just use windows explorer (Windows key + E) to remove them.

Then reload them. Make sure you download a fresh copy from the vorpalfiles shared folder first, and make sure the downloads completely finish.

I have seen this happen to people before, and I guess I should add this procedure to the trouble shooting page because it seems to happen every now and then.

Lisa M

Dec 5, 2018, 8:43:18 PM12/5/18
to Vorpal Robotics Forum
I have the latest Arduino version.  Everything was downloaded and installed on December 3  ...same day as my initial post.  The arduino IDE is the most recent from the Arduino site and the libraries are from the files on your site  There isn't anything newer to my understanding.  However I will uninstall everything and try it again.  ...not really expecting it to make a difference but maybe I'll get lucky.

Lisa M

Dec 5, 2018, 8:50:20 PM12/5/18
to Vorpal Robotics Forum
...actually I just realized I downloaded the Arduino app from the windows store ...so maybe it wasn't the most recent.  Now I'm feeling more hopeful.

Lisa M

Dec 5, 2018, 9:00:48 PM12/5/18
to Vorpal Robotics Forum
Unistalled Arduino
Deleted libraries from documents folder
Installed Arduino 1.8.7
Added libraries again

Still got this error when attempting to flash the nano...

Arduino: 1.8.7 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino Nano, ATmega328P (Old Bootloader)"

Build options changed, rebuilding all

Lisa M

Dec 5, 2018, 9:04:08 PM12/5/18
to Vorpal Robotics Forum

error and settings.png

Steve Pendergrast

Dec 6, 2018, 10:40:43 AM12/6/18
to Vorpal Robotics Forum
Hello,

I think I see what's going on now.

My theory is that you installed the ZIP library, then you also used "Include Library" on the pixy lib.  You weren't supposed to include the library, it's already included.  The instructions posted online don't say to do this, they only say to do the ZIP install step.

When you do the "include library" it inserted every single Pixy library header at the start of the file, causing the issue.

I deduced this because the error messages you sent in the picture say that the PixyUART header is on line 4 of the vorpal code.

The robot code should start with these lines:

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//           Vorpal Hexapod Control Program

If instead it starts with the following lines, then that would confirm my theory:

#include <Pixy.h>
#include <PixyI2C.h>
#include <PixySPI_SS.h>
#include <PixyUART.h>
#include <TPixy.h>

The fix is easy. Either load the robot code again from the shared folder http://tinyurl.com/vorpalfiles

or just delete those five include files right at the top of the file. (Don't delete ones further below).

Sorry for the confusion. I will change the instructions to warn against this so other people don't fall into the same trap!

-Steve P.

//           Vorpal Hexapod Control Program

On Wednesday, December 5, 2018 at 9:04:08 PM UTC-5, Lisa M wrote:

error and settings.png

Lisa M

Dec 7, 2018, 7:56:21 PM12/7/18
to Vorpal Robotics Forum
Thank you, removing the extra lines of code worked for uploading.

When I turned it on I heard the two beeps and the servos moved a bit.

Looks like I'm ready to continue the build :)