3D printed part versions ?

Charles F.

Jan 16, 2020, 3:57:39 PM1/16/20
to Vorpal Robotics Forum

Hi,

I am currently making some test prints in order to check my printer settings before starting a full build, and have some questions about the different versions of the CAD files.

According to the assembly guide, the newest version of the hexapod base does not need the switch adapter anymore, but the version I downloaded from Thingiverse (V1r8b_Base) still has it. Therefore I exported a STL from the OnShape model and printed a slice of it (1/6th, in order to have 1 servo emplacement), everything went fine.

I then printed a leg hinge sample from the Thingiverse files (V1r8_Single_Leg_Hinge), and the spherical joint seems a bit large as there is some slack between the female part (on the hinge) and the male (on the base).

The OnShape model also has 2 other different hinges: TowerPro and Generic. I printed the Generic (CL) and it seems to fit better, as the female part of the spherical joint is smaller (i.e. no slack).

Is this normal ? (I don’t have servos to test the full assembly yet)

Should I use all models from the same source (Thingiverse or OnShape) ?

Thanks

vorpalrobotics

Jan 16, 2020, 7:54:06 PM1/16/20
to Vorpal Robotics Forum
Hello,

I just checked thingiverse and the current version of the hexapod base posted there is V1r8c, it was posted in October 2019, and it definitely does not require a switch adapter. The switch threads through the slot at the bottom of the switch hole then press-fits in.

As I emailed to you earlier (forgot to post here) the hinges can be loose depending on type of plastic and extrusion settings. You can either use the alternate one in OnShape or just wrap electrical tape around the joint before joining the two halves to tighten it up.

Hope this helps,
Steve P.

Charles F.

Jan 17, 2020, 8:08:28 AM1/17/20
to Vorpal Robotics Forum
Thank you very much for your answers...

For some reason, when using the "download all files" button on Thingiverse, the zip file only contains the V1r8b version of the hexapod base (and other files), the only V1r8c files in the zip file are for the gamepad.
I downloaded the V1r8c base directly from the thingiverse page, it's ok...

I made my test prints in PLA, and the two hinge parts fit perfectly. My question was more about the spherical joint between the hinge assembly and the base. But I'll wait to have some servos for more testing.

Btw, do you have a patreon (or similar) page to support your work ?
Buying parts from your store will also result in supporting the postal services in my country (I'm in Europe) due to custom fees and taxes :(

Charles

vorpalrobotics

Jan 17, 2020, 9:29:38 AM1/17/20
to Vorpal Robotics Forum
Wow! I confirmed that you are correct. Downloading all files as a ZIP gives older versions of the files. Further google searches indicate this problem has been around since July 2019. So my October update didn't make it into the zip.

I have opened a support ticket at Thingiverse reporting this. If they don't get it fixed within a few hours I'll post a huge warning on the thing page and also the build instructions.

Thank you so much for pointing this out!

Also, I appreciate your support. You can use the Thingiverse TIP feature to make a donation, or you can use paypal at https://paypal.me/vorpalrobotics. I fully understand about the customs duties, VAT, and other fees that are very high in some countries.

-Steve P.