Trim Procedure

Bo Wingo

Sep 10, 2018, 2:22:55 PM9/10/18
to Vorpal Robotics Forum
First off, thanks for creating such a fun project. My kids (6 and 3) and I finished building our Vorpal yesterday and they had a blast playing with it and learning about the features.

We had an issue where fight mode causes the two front legs to bang into each other. My thought was that the servos probably needed to be trimmed, so we loaded the v2 firmware onto our robot and gamepad and tried trimming the legs. Unfortunately, while this eliminated the fight mode issue, it caused our robot to start walking very crooked (ballet mode was completely unusable).

So my question is this...when in trim mode, can I get some additional details about the procedure? How do I want the robot positioned (squatted down or standing up)? What are the "perfect positions" to which I should be adjusting each leg? I assumed that I should trim squatted down and that I was shooting for each hip angled straight out from center and the knees so each foot was just barely contacting the floor, but these trims caused the robot to be very uncoordinated. I'm sure that if I know what my target is, the trim will work quite well. I just need a little more guidance.

Thanks.

--Bo

Steve Pendergrast

Sep 10, 2018, 2:31:50 PM9/10/18
to Vorpal Robotics Forum
Hello,

Yes, you do want the servo horns going straight out from the servos the way the documentation shows in the diagrams. In order to do this in trim mode, you would push the R2 button (Play) to set the Pose to be the same as adjust mode pose, then use the trim buttons to make the horns come straight out, both for hips and knees.

I've trimmed at least 10 robots and I don't see the issue you're having, mine work very well after being trimmed.  By the way, it is normal for the front two legs to "clap" when in fight auto-ninja mode. Maybe you were trying so much to avoid the clapping together of the front legs that you mis-adjusted things?

Perhaps take a short cell phone video. First: show me how the legs are trimmed (go into trim mode, press R2 to go into adjust mode, then show me the bottom view for a few seconds so I can see the hip servos, then show me side views rotating around so I can see the knee horns).

Then, a second short video just show me what's happening in normal walk mode.

You can maybe use a shared folder service like dropbox or onedrive or google drive to share the videos, since they are normally too big to email.  Send me a link to sup...@vorpalrobotics.com

Thanks!