18650 battery compatibility

Jean-Francois Theoret

Apr 23, 2021, 1:37:41 PM4/23/21
to Vorpal Robotics Forum
Hello!

I just purchased a QuickBuild Maker's Kit that is soon to arrive, and I'm shopping around for batteries. I found Panasonic Flat Top 18650 batteries (as opposed to button top) on the cheap side. Can anyone tell me if they will work in the provided battery holder?

Thanks!

Jean-Francois Theoret

Apr 23, 2021, 1:38:43 PM4/23/21
to Vorpal Robotics Forum

vorpalrobotics

Apr 25, 2021, 11:54:24 AM4/25/21
to Vorpal Robotics Forum
Hello,

Yes flat top batteries will fit in the battery holder, at least the ones I've tried in the past do.

By far, the best battery we've found is the EBL "White top" 18650. It seems to have longer life than anything else we've ever tried and it has some protection, but not overly aggressive protection.

The battery you chose should work, however it is unprotected which means you need to be extra careful about charging it and making sure it doesn't over-discharge. Always remove batteries when you're done using the robot, because if you leave the batteries in and somehow the power switch gets hit, you could destroy the batteries or even physically damage them and the robot due to overdischarge.

(Even EBL batteries should be removed, by the way, as a general safety precaution. You never know when the protection circuit might fail.)