robot wont turn right?

Kerry Buchter

Jun 4, 2020, 9:26:02 AM6/4/20
to Vorpal Robotics Forum
When I first powered it up, on its initial power on, it ran fine for a while. It started acting up and lost bluetooth, which I assumed was the batteries losing charge. It actually was one of the bluetooth cables came disconnected, but that was fixed.

After charging the batteries overnight, it now wont turn right or move forward. The legs move, but with no real strength and it just kind of sits there. Turning left, and moving backwards works fine. This is in all walk modes. Dance and fight modes seem unaffected.

Also, when turning right and moving forward, the buzzer sounds the entire time the button is held down.

After less than a minute is lost all strength in the legs and sagged to the floor. Powering it off and back on brought it back to life, but I still have the forward/right issue.

I did have an issue with the left middle leg hip servo. (#1) It stopped working , and in the test mode, would not sweep at all. I replaced it with my spare and that seems resolved. Not sure if its related.

Hopefully its something simple....

Kerry

vorpalrobotics

Jun 4, 2020, 10:43:32 AM6/4/20
to Vorpal Robotics Forum
Hi,

Possibly dpad config issue. Try this:

1 make sure gamepad battery fully charged

2 turn off gamepad

3 hold down the very top dpad button, the one above the directional buttons. Keep holding.

4 power on the gamepad while continuing to hold that top button. Count slowly to 10.

Tell me if that works.

Kerry Buchter

Jun 4, 2020, 6:44:32 PM6/4/20
to Vorpal Robotics Forum
That seems to have done it. Thanks for the quick response. I did the dpad setup the first power up, but I guess it just needed a reminder.

vorpalrobotics

Jun 4, 2020, 7:01:15 PM6/4/20
to Vorpal Robotics Forum
The setting is stored in eeprom but I have noticed that on occasion it gets inexplicably reset.

One theory I have is that if you boot the gamepad with a weak battery then the eeprom doesn't work right even though the rest of the nano still works. If the software doesn't see a valid value from the eeprom it uses a default dpad profile.

The reason I had to add this whole 'boot while holding button' feature is that manufacturers recently started sending me randomly one dpad profile or another. There is no difference in appearance of the modules, no difference in any numbering or anything.

This is just one of hundreds of issues this project deals with in the software. It's actually very difficult to field a product like this due to all the little hardware and software quirks!

Kerry Buchter

Jun 5, 2020, 9:39:16 AM6/5/20
to Vorpal Robotics Forum
Well, Quirks aside it is a very cool project and with out it I never would have attempted something like this.

Just as an FYI, I posted a video on some star wars facebook pages and they are going nuts over it. Many have seen the Vorpal before, but even more have never heard about it but are asking for the files and instructions. Hopefully there will be some orders coming your way.

Thanks again!

Steve Pendergrast

Jun 5, 2020, 9:45:11 AM6/5/20
to Vorpal Robotics Forum
Great! I appreciate the kind words and also your sharing of your mod to the star wars community!