Error with flash updates

Warren Cole

Jun 24, 2021, 12:25:23 AM6/24/21
to Vorpal Robotics Forum
First attempt at attempting to flash in order to get grip arm to work.  Noted discussion in Feb of error in code that requires update.
Downloaded current Arduino.exe 1.8.15
Followed directions for installation of libraries
  1. Download the ZIP files for the libraries from the shared files area http://tinyurl/VorpalFiles (look in the LIBRARIES subfolder).
  2. Open the Arduino IDE that you previously installed.
  3. Click on the menu SKETCH, select INCLUDE LIBRARY. Then select ADD .ZIP LIBRARY.
  4. Browse in the folder you downloaded the ZIP files previously and select Adafruit Servo Library. Then, repeat for the Pixy and SDFAT libraries.  DONE

After this, click on the menu SKETCH, choose INCLUDE LIBRARY, and confirm that you see the Adafruit Servo PWM Driver Library, the SDFat library, and the Pixy library listed there.  DONE.  Did not select libraries to include, just browsed to ensure they were listed.

Opened the current .ino file for gamepad and also for robot from same file source.

Selected Board Arduino Nano, processor ATmega328p, Port Com3.  Connected to Nano on game pad.

On upload after several minutes after initializing get "An error occurred while upload the sketch." No other messages.  Tried to select alt processor (old boot processor), same results.  Same results when robot .ino file connected to robot.  Also tried Com4 but immediate errors for failed connection.  Tried alternative cable.  Suggestions?

Last few lines of response window.

Using library SdFat at version 1.0.7 in folder: C:\Users\wrcol\Documents\Arduino\libraries\SdFat

Using library SPI at version 1.0 in folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\SPI

Using library SoftwareSerial at version 1.0 in folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\SoftwareSerial

Using library EEPROM at version 2.0 in folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\EEPROM

"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Arduino\\hardware\\tools\\avr/bin/avr-size" -A "C:\\Users\\wrcol\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_266521/Vorpal-Hexapod-Gamepad.ino.elf"

Sketch uses 21452 bytes (69%) of program storage space. Maximum is 30720 bytes.

Global variables use 1305 bytes (63%) of dynamic memory, leaving 743 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -carduino -PCOM3 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\wrcol\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_266521/Vorpal-Hexapod-Gamepad.ino.hex:i

avrdude: Version 6.3-20190619

         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/

         Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

         System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

         Using Port                    : COM3

         Using Programmer              : arduino

         Overriding Baud Rate          : 115200

An error occurred while uploading the sketch

vorpalrobotics

Jun 24, 2021, 1:27:47 PM6/24/21
to Vorpal Robotics Forum
Hello,

The console messages indicate that the compile was successful, but the error occurred during the upload.

It is possible your nano has a bad serial port, which would cause this kind of issue. That can happen due to static electricity or other causes. You could eliminate this as a possibility if you happen to have another nano somewhere that you could try to flash. If that one works, that would rule out usb port issues, etc.

However, I just had a problem similar to yours today. I tried everything (old bootloader, new bootloader, switching to a different usb port, unplugging all other usb devices, etc.) This was highly unusual because as you might imagine I flash hundreds of devices per month and I rarely have this kind of issue.

I was finally able to fix it by rebooting the laptop. Sometimes the usb ports can get into a bad state that requires a reboot, apparently.

So, try that reboot and see if that fixes it. I would unplug as many other usb devices as possible as well, just to eliminate the possibility of some kind of conflict.

If none of that works, you may need to replace the nano.