My Hexapod and questions.

YAKUP ÖZDEMİR

Nov 20, 2018, 3:09:53 AM11/20/18
to Vorpal Robotics Forum

I have just finished my hexapod. No problem. Everyting works fine. Great design.   I have just  2 questions ;

  1. Wouldn't it be a better design to model the legs symetrical to both x and y axes.  They are not symetrical with actual design and the movement ranges differs due to this assymetry.
  2.  The HC-05 RX pin's HIGH voltage is 3.3 V as far as i know. But it is directly connected to A4 pin of Nano which is 5 V. Will it be a problem in long term ?
butttom.jpg

Steve Pendergrast

Nov 20, 2018, 11:26:49 AM11/20/18
to Vorpal Robotics Forum
Regarding the BT module and 5v: The bluetooth modules we use are 5v tolerant, and in fact most of them are these days. There are lots of web sources that warn about this but they are based on older modules. The ones we use are specifically designed to be used with 5v arduino boards, the manufacturer's documentation even shows them being used directly on 5v Uno IO pins.  In addition, the circuit diagram the manufacturer provides for the module clearly shows they have included circuitry to ensure RX never goes above 3.3V regardless of the input voltage being 5v.

Regarding symmetry: Your diagram is a bit off, but yes we don't have perfect radial symmetry as there is a slight skew (about 3 degrees) if you draw lines from the center through each servo shaft. It is symmetrical in the respect that the skew is the same for every servo though. Here's a more precise diagram using onshape:

symmetry.JPG

This is something we're looking to fix in the next major release, along with a few other things. In practice the software adjusts for this and it doesn't cause any significant issues.

-Steve P.

YAKUP ÖZDEMİR

Nov 20, 2018, 11:33:25 AM11/20/18
to Steve Pendergrast, Vorpal Robotics Forum
Great. Thanks