Loud, repeating beeping in STOP, servos don't move in ADJ, TEST or DEMO

James Duffy

May 27, 2018, 7:58:52 PM5/27/18
to Vorpal Robotics Forum
Sourced my own parts and finally got to building it. Hooked everything up, triple checked the connections. Bluetooth wont pair but that's likely due to my failure at programming them myself. Put in an order from the store for yours. Followed all the tutorials i can find and its a pain in the rear. Possible what I got are duds too. HOPING its not the rest of it. So when I hit the on switch, servos twitch and i get the expected startup beep. So as far as i know the arduino is running. However, it keeps making a beep beep beep nois while in STOP position. When I move the dial, none of the servos move like the instructions say they should. Cant find where you may have posted what certain beeps mean. Is it because there's no BT connection? I got counterfeit servos? I have a servo tester and every single on works with that. Just not connected to the arduino. FYI, the VCC and GND are jumped as instructed for the servo board.  Not sure where to go from here. Any advice would be appreciated.

Steve Pendergrast

May 27, 2018, 8:03:37 PM5/27/18
to Vorpal Robotics Forum
Hello,

The most common cause of the continual beeping (which means the servo controller is browning out) is that you forgot to shunt VCC and V+ on the servo controller. A jumper or small shunt needs to tie the two voltages together. This makes both the servo voltage and the logic voltage the same (5 volts).

Another possible cause is failing to supply power to the servo controller. The BEC 5v output has to be attached either to the screw terminals or to an unused servo port to supply power to the servo controller.

A third possible cause is a BEC that can't provide enough power.

In all these cases, the beeps are because the nano is detecting that the servo controller has put itself to sleep due to lack of power.  The nano tries to wake up the servo controller by sending the proper I2C signals, but the brownout happens again immediately because the servo controller is not receiving enough power to operate.

James Duffy

May 27, 2018, 11:50:51 PM5/27/18
to Vorpal Robotics Forum
Dunno what it was but i got it to work. I had the servo board shunted as directed. But i took another stab at it and its working. Up to demo mode at least. Gotta wait on your BT boards to come in. All i did differently here was use a fresh servo board. In my first attempt i had a nano die on me. Locked up with all green lights. No beeps. Just say there. Wonder if that killed the servo board too. Or maybe i had a bad bec solder join on the switch? Who knows. Either way thanks for responding.

Steve Pendergrast

May 28, 2018, 3:06:28 PM5/28/18
to Vorpal Robotics Forum
Ok, sounds like the servo controller was bad then. The nano would also beep if the servo controller failed to respond to I2C requests so that makes sense.

Anyway, glad it works now!