New QuickBuild Hexapod Kits Released; Now Available at 20% off

vorpalrobotics

Jan 16, 2020, 4:01:43 PM1/16/20
to Vorpal Robotics Forum
Hello,

Big new announcement! We've started shipping a new version of the maker and complete kits that have a "QuickBuild" feature. In any kit with the word "QuickBuild" in its name, the kit ships with all electrical wiring completed. This means all modules (Nanos, Bluetooth, SD card reader, Servo controller, buzzer) are pre-wired. You still have to plug in the servos, but other than that, everything is done.

In our tests, this cuts build time in half. It is far friendlier in a classroom environment as well. As you might imagine, this also eliminates all wiring errors.

I am actually able to build both the robot and gamepad in 25 minutes flat, including testing!  We'll be releasing a video in a day or two that shows a real time build to prove it. Of course, I've built this project so many times I can do the non-quick version in one hour.  We estimate a typical builder who has never built this project before will require 45 minutes to build the robot and gamepad (as opposed to nearly 2 hours for the old kit).

The best part is, this doesn't increase the price very much at all. We were able to negotiate with a wire harness manufacturer and buy in enough volume to keep the extra expense modest. The Deluxe Maker Kit, for example, is only $10 higher in price in the QuickBuild version.

Here's a picture of the Gamepad Wire Harness that comes with the QuickBuild versions of the kit:

Gamepad-Harness-Complete-lowres.jpg
As you can see, there are large connectors, each one clearly marked, that each module plugs into. We also test every single circuit, meaning virtually all defective parts are caught in our factory, again leading to a better customer experience.

The bare bones kit is still the old version where every wire is placed individually by the customer. We have a small number of the old style of Deluxe Maker Kits, but once those run out that will be discontinued in favor of the Deluxe QuickBuild Maker Kit. All Complete kits are now quickbuild as well.

To celebrate this new advance, all Vorpal Hexapod kits are discounted 20% until January 24.