Why do I have Unfiled Tasks in Dashboard?

MJones

Jan 27, 2010, 11:20:39 AM1/27/10
to Voo2do Tips, Tricks, and Ideas
Hi All,

These tasks are assigned to an exiting projects and the projects are
in contexts.

What am I doing when adding tasks that causes them to be unfiled? Or
what should I be doing to make them filed?

Thanks,

Michele

Michele Jones (QCP)

Mar 5, 2010, 10:30:53 AM3/5/10
to voo...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I reported this earlier, but don't believe I heard back.

Just wondering when/if it was going to be fixed because its annoying filing
items all the time when they should be done automatically.

Or am I doing something wrong? It seems to happen when moving tasks from
contributor to contributor.

I noticed that the contributors are not assigned to a context. I have five
contexts so that will mean one would have to clone the contributors five
times because I can't seem to make them go into more than one context by
dragging them. I'm worried that cloning the contributors will cause more
trouble that the unfiled tasks.

Thanks again,

Michele

Hi All,

Thanks,

Michele

Voo2do Support

Mar 11, 2010, 4:33:19 PM3/11/10
to Voo2do Tips, Tricks, and Ideas
Hi Michele,

Sorry for the slow response. You're right that this is a bug. The
behavior will be changing so that if you assign a project or
collaborator on a task and that task currently does not have a
context, it will be placed into the default context for that project
or person.

That means that if you're viewing "all contexts" or "no context", new
tasks will be placed into whatever context their project or
collaborator setting defaults to. This should fix the problem you're
seeing.

If you're viewing an existing context, however, any task you create
will be created in that context, even if you set the tasks's project/
collaborator to one that isn't part of that context.

Also, are you saying that when you drag a collaborator to a new
context in the customize contexts dialog, it doesn't actually move the
collaborator? If you're seeing that, it would be another bug. I'll
look into that and hope to release an update with fixes for these
issues in the next couple of days.

Thank you,
Shimon Rura
Voo2do

On Mar 5, 10:30 am, "Michele Jones \(QCP\)" <mich...@quality-

Michele Jones (QCP)

Mar 11, 2010, 4:52:42 PM3/11/10
to voo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Simon,

Thanks for the response. I'll look for the update.

Regarding your last comment, yes, I can see the collaborator move, but the
collaborators should be involved in more than one context so it doesn't make
sense to put them in just one context. I don't understand the point of
putting collaborators in contexts if they can't be in more than one.

Voo2do Support

Mar 11, 2010, 5:04:02 PM3/11/10
to voo...@googlegroups.com
Michele,

Thanks for the clarification. Let me explain how collaborators +
contexts work right now and maybe we can make sense of this.

A task in any context can be assigned to any collaborator. Setting a
collaborator on a task will not automatically move that task into a
new context; it just shows the collaborator's name on that task. So if
you want a collaborator to be "in multiple contexts" meaning that a
collaborator has tasks in multiple contexts, that should work right
now. You can browse for a specific person under the collaboration
tab, and then view that person's tasks in all contexts, no contexts,
or any specific context.

The main time that the collaborator's default context -- the one
you're moving a collaborator around in the customize context dialog --
is actually used is when you're creating a task that is (1) assigned
to that collaborator and (2) you're not already looking at a specific
context. In other words, this simply determined what is the default
context for a new task assigned to that collaborator. This is also
used in order to organize collaborators under the collaboration tab ->
collaborators section. But in any case, a collaborator can have tasks
in any context.

Does that clarify things at all? Is there a specific task structure
you're trying to achieve that isn't possible in this system?

Shimon Rura, creator of Voo2do
sup...@voo2do.com
phone +1-209-2-Voo2do (209-286-6236)

Michele Jones (QCP)

Mar 17, 2010, 6:30:04 PM3/17/10
to voo...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm sorry for not responding. I'm just exhausted and can't think straight
right now.

I'll definitely put some thought to it soon.

Thanks again!

Michele Jones (QCP)

Mar 24, 2010, 3:29:17 PM3/24/10
to voo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Shimon,

Again, sorry for the delay. I have now reviewed your email. Your first two
paragraphs are clear and I have no problem there.

Your third paragraph indicates that collaborators should have default
contexts. We have three collaborators (company employees) and none of them
are assigned to a context. I suppose I could pick one even though there
isn't one that is used particularly more than any other is. Will that make
a difference for us? It worries me to do this because then won't my staff
accidently put tasks in the wrong projects?

What we are doing is creating projects (classes for us) and then when the
collaborators are in that project, they create tasks. These are the tasks
that are showing unfiled in the dashboard and our main problem. One would
think that because the projects are in a context, the tasks would be
assigned to the context the projects are in containing those tasks.

What we have to do to fix this (for every new task) is go to the bottom of
the dashboard, find all the unfiled tasks, click each of the arrows for all
the tasks (which already have project names), and then move them to a
context. Since the unfiled ones don't all show, we have to refresh the
screen and keep moving them until they are all in a context.

I hope you can advise us further from my description.

Thanks again for a great product. Other than this, we are happy users,

Michele

Apr 15, 2010, 7:52:07 PM4/15/10
to voo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave,

Further to below, I have discovered what is making the tasks appear as
unfiled in the dashboard window.

If I open a project and add items to it, where the context shown in the drop
box is not the same context that the project I'm in is in (say all
contexts), then the tasks are shown as unfiled in the dashboard.

Don't you think that in this situation, the tasks, instead of being unfiled,
should be filed in the context that the project is in?

Best regards,
Michele

Apr 15, 2010, 7:52:44 PM4/15/10
to voo...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, meant to say Hi Shimon, not Dave.
Michele

May 2, 2010, 10:18:56 AM5/2/10
to voo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Shimon,

I still have not received an answer to my email(s) below. We are still
experiencing dashboard tasks in unfiled, which means that some collaborators
don't see the tasks.

I don't know why or how to stop this from happening. It is a great concern
because I assign tasks to my assistants and if the task is important and
they don't see the task, it puts us at risk if something isn't done on time.

I'm wondering if it would help if one could assign collaborators to all
contents or multiple contexts as opposed to just one. Right now our
collaborators are in no context because I don't know which one of the five
contexts to put them in since they should be in all five.

Thanks again,

Michele