Asynchronous Volley - Production Ready ?

Yogesh Gupta

Apr 4, 2023, 8:07:19 AM4/4/23
to Volley Users
Hi, is CronethttpStack production ready or is it still in the experimental face?
I saw the last update on Aug 25, 2021.

Jeff Davidson

Apr 4, 2023, 1:01:32 PM4/4/23
to Yogesh Gupta, Volley Users
Hi,

It has been in use in one Google-maintained app for the last couple of years without known issues. I'm not sure whether external apps have been using it externally - would be interested in hearing the experience from any apps that have. So while it is stable for at least some use cases, I'm not aware of wide-enough usage to be confident that it is production ready for all scenarios.

I would mostly consider using it only if you have an existing, large app that has already integrated with Volley and are interested in improving the threading model / moving to Cronet without having to migrate the full library to something else. If you are writing a new app, you would probably be better off with a newer framework that is seeing more active development. I'm not familiar enough with other libraries to make a strong recommendation, but I am aware that apps have been using Retrofit, ktor (for Kotlin), or Cronet directly and have generally been happy with the results. Or, if you own both the client and server, a higher-level framework like gRPC might be a good choice. We continue to make bug fixes to Volley on an as-needed basis, but are no longer generally developing large features.

Thanks,
Jeff

On Tue, Apr 4, 2023 at 5:07 AM Yogesh Gupta <yogesh84...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, is CronethttpStack production ready or is it still in the experimental face?
I saw the last update on Aug 25, 2021.

Yogesh Gupta

Apr 5, 2023, 1:31:04 AM4/5/23
to Volley Users
Thanks for your response. I'll keep in mind the information you provided and explore other frameworks as well. Appreciate your help.