Context Diagrams in requirements

Jack

Jul 7, 2008, 10:26:53 PM7/7/08
to Volere Requirements
A number of projects I involved new processes being implemented by the
business. My question is-

In a requirements document should we use a Context diagram for both
the current state (i.e. how it is now) and the future state? Or should
we not worry about the current and create a Context diagram (and
requirements) for the future one?

James Robertson

Jul 14, 2008, 8:46:30 AM7/14/08
to vol...@googlegroups.com
Jack,

it is worth doing the context for the current state just to make sure
that you and your clients are starting from the same place. Remember
that we are talking about the business to be studied here, not just
the product to be built. I am certain that it will save you time by
ensuring that you are operating in the right business area from the
beginning.

James

____________________________________
James Robertson
the Atlantic Systems Guild
ja...@systemsguild.com
http://www.systemsguild.com
http://www.volere.co.uk

Suzanne Robertson

Jul 14, 2008, 8:57:47 AM7/14/08
to vol...@googlegroups.com
Current Business
There are 4 useful Context viewpoints:

A - Current Business
B - Current Product
C - Future Business
D - Future Product

Clearly one wants to get to C and D. Often it is necessary to do some work
on A and B in order to understand and communicate what needs to be
changed/improved and thereby discover the scope of the requirements.

Hope this helps.

Suzanne

Suzanne Robertson
suz...@systemsguild.net
www.systemsguild.com <http://www.systemsguild.com>
www.volere.co.uk <http://www.volere.co.uk>

New book 'Adrenaline Junkies and Template Zombies - Understanding Patterns
of Project Behavior http://www.dorsethouse.com/books/ajtz.html

Jack

Jul 16, 2008, 12:15:55 AM7/16/08
to Volere Requirements
Ok. So you would recommend doing a context diagram for both currnet
and future states. Assuming there is a current state.

Thanks

Jack

Suzanne Robertson

Jul 17, 2008, 8:43:35 AM7/17/08
to vol...@googlegroups.com
Yes, and normally it's the future work context diagram that you will use as
the basis for doing an event partitioning of the business that you are
studying. You will also benefit from doing a scope diagram for the product,
the part of the work for which you intend to build a product - usually
sofware. Have a look at the Volere template Section 7 Work Scope, Section 8
Product Scope.

Suzanne