Issue 108 in void-impl: Use case: linksets to non-RDF targets

void...@googlecode.com

Mar 23, 2013, 4:15:43 PM3/23/13
to void-di...@googlegroups.com
Owner: rich...@cyganiak.de
Labels: Type-Enhancement Priority-Medium Product-vocab

New issue 108 by rich...@cyganiak.de: Use case: linksets to non-RDF targets
http://code.google.com/p/void-impl/issues/detail?id=108

A use case mentioned on the list by Alasdair Gray.

They have linksets that don't link to another RDF dataset, but to a set of
web pages. Example: Each gene might have an associated web page on some
biomedical database site (which is exposed only as HTML).

Linksets currently assume that both "ends" of the link are RDF datasets.
The assumption would have to be relaxed for void:Linkset to be appropriate
here.

issue notifications to this address.

Alasdair J G Gray

Mar 25, 2013, 5:48:01 AM3/25/13
to void-di...@googlegroups.com
Hi Richard,

Thanks for picking up this action. If you would like any more input from me, I'm more than happy to help.

There are a number of alternative approaches:
  1. Relax the range on the existing void:linkPredicate and void:objectsTarget predicates
  2. Provide equivalent predicates to void:linkPredicate and void:objectsTarget that do not have the range restriction
Both of the above assume that the link is from an RDF dataset to a non-RDF dataset. Is it beyond the scope to consider links between two non-RDF datasets?

Best regards,

Alasdair

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "void-discussion" group.

Richard Cyganiak

Mar 26, 2013, 1:40:28 PM3/26/13
to void-di...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alasdair,

On 25 Mar 2013, at 09:48, Alasdair J G Gray <Alasda...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for picking up this action.

Thanks for the feedback!

> If you would like any more input from me, I'm more than happy to help.
>
> There are a number of alternative approaches:
> • Relax the range on the existing void:linkPredicate and void:objectsTarget predicates
> • Provide equivalent predicates to void:linkPredicate and void:objectsTarget that do not have the range restriction

It would be a great help if you could add these observations as comments on the issue in the tracker. This would also ensure that you're kept in the loop when the issue is discussed (which might be a while, given that we're currently really just gathering feedback and comments, and are not yet actively working on an update).

http://code.google.com/p/void-impl/issues/detail?id=108

> Both of the above assume that the link is from an RDF dataset to a non-RDF dataset. Is it beyond the scope to consider links between two non-RDF datasets?

It seems a stretch from what VoID is currently focused on, but if there's sufficient demand…

Best,
Richard

void...@googlecode.com

Mar 27, 2013, 5:10:00 AM3/27/13
to void-di...@googlegroups.com

Comment #1 on issue 108 by alasdair...@gmail.com: Use case: linksets to
non-RDF targets
http://code.google.com/p/void-impl/issues/detail?id=108

This is a very pressing use case within the Open PHACTS project.

We have adopted VoID as our mechanism for describing our RDF datasets but
have found that we need to provide links to, and descriptions of, non-RDF
datasets. While we can describe non-RDF datasets using dctypes:Dataset or
dcat:Dataset, we have not found an equivalent for void:Linkset and the
void:linkPredicate and void:target predicates.

A couple of alternative approaches:
* Relax the range on the existing void:linkPredicate and void:objectsTarget
predicates
* Provide equivalent predicates to void:linkPredicate and
void:objectsTarget that do not have the range restriction

Both of the above assume that the link is from an RDF dataset to a non-RDF
dataset. We do not have a current use-case for this, but it is probably
worth considering if it beyond the scope to consider links between two
non-RDF datasets at the same time?

Alasdair J G Gray

Mar 27, 2013, 5:13:59 AM3/27/13
to void-di...@googlegroups.com
I have added details to the discussion of the issue.

The Open PHACTS project has an immediate need to develop a solution to this problem. We would be happy to adopt a solution that uses predicates that will make their way into the next revision of VoID.

Best regards,

Alasdair

void...@googlecode.com

Mar 29, 2013, 2:47:19 PM3/29/13
to void-di...@googlegroups.com

Comment #2 on issue 108 by K.J.W.Al...@gmail.com: Use case: linksets to
non-RDF targets
http://code.google.com/p/void-impl/issues/detail?id=108

Seems like a reasonable use case for VoID to cover. Linksets should not
require either the subjectTarget or objectTarget to be an RDF dataset - it
makes sense for linksets to be able to link web pages and any
URI-identified resources.

Ideally there would be something like a 'UriDataset' class to point the
ranges at, but maybe it's simpler just to use something generic like
dcmitype:Dataset.

I'm in favour of changing the existing predicate definitions (rather than
create equivalent predicates), unless someone can see that it will break
things for existing VoID consumers.

void...@googlecode.com

Jun 17, 2013, 11:45:12 AM6/17/13
to void-di...@googlegroups.com

Comment #3 on issue 108 by alasdair...@gmail.com: Use case: linksets to
non-RDF targets
http://code.google.com/p/void-impl/issues/detail?id=108

Has there been any progress on this issue?