Keypresses stopped working

Mike Pelley

Apr 19, 2016, 8:46:12 PM4/19/16
to VoiceAttack
Hello folks,

I've been using VoiceAttack successfully for many months now with Elite Dangerous. This afternoon my computer locked up while playing Elite (very rare) and when I rebooted several Windows updates were installed (in case that's relevant).

Now, VoiceAttack won't send keypresses to any application (neither Elite nor Notepad). It recognizes the command in the log, and commands that run applications still work, but commands that send keypresses do nothing. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling VoiceAttack, then I tried deleting everything in Apps (EDDI and VA Text Reader plugins) as well as everything in AppData and reinstalling "clean". I tried the new beta version of VoiceAttack. I tried running VoiceAttack as admin. I've run out of ideas - no matter what I do, I can't see a VoiceAttack keypress in Notepad or Elite.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike.

Gary

Apr 20, 2016, 2:44:38 PM4/20/16
to VoiceAttack
Are you positive you are running VA as an administrator?  Also, I would create a new profile and use it to send key presses to Wordpad.  That way, you eliminate any profile initialization problems (from commands being set at startup).

Hope that helps!

Gary

Mike Pelley

Apr 20, 2016, 4:16:48 PM4/20/16
to VoiceAttack
Hello Gary,

In one of my tests I had run VoiceAttack as administrator, and I had tried a new profile with notepad as well.

However, I've figured it out (whew)! I've had a program called Synergy (http://synergy-project.org/) installed for a few months that lets you share your keyboard and mouse across computers, such that you can move your mouse to the side of the screen and it will "jump" to another computer that's also running Synergy. Apparently I had never had it and VA running at the same time until yesterday, and I'd not connected it to this problem. I guess it is incompatible with VA due to how it captures mouse/keyboard or something.

Thanks very much for the quick response, and hopefully this might help someone with the same problem in the future.

Mike.

Dominic Black

May 24, 2016, 12:04:33 PM5/24/16
to VoiceAttack
Hi, I just want to confirm the problem with Synergy. Can I suggest adding that to the howto "Commands are recognized, but nothing is happening in my game" section? I spent a good 30 mins trying things out before coming accross this post.

Gary

May 24, 2016, 12:37:20 PM5/24/16
to VoiceAttack
I like your suggestion and I think I will add that.

I added a warning to VA on startup that tries to detect some known software that may interfere with usage.  If you get the beta:  http://www.voiceattack.com/beta, it has the warnings.

Sorry about that!

Gary