Call me dumb but I can't get CTRL + V to work

Infin8jest

May 3, 2016, 8:49:41 PM5/3/16
to VoiceAttack
I'm hoping someone can help me.
I am running Windows 10. 1st time using this program and love the potential that it has. I can't get it to paste though.... heck I can't get it to record the key press thing half the time.

(While testing in a text file.)
To get VA to paste I have tried the following:
  1. Key Press: While key press works for other functions it will not work for paste.
  2. Recorder: Will not type anything in the text file. Be it "ctrl + v" or the text that I actually want typed.

Half the time when I try to start a new "Key Press" or "Recorder" my keyboard strokes are not being recognized.

Is this an issue with Windows 10? Is it not supported yet? Who will be our next president? Many questions... and I fresh out of answers.

Hoping some brain here can help,

-Infin8jest

Donald Jones

May 4, 2016, 12:10:36 AM5/4/16
to voice...@googlegroups.com
Maybe VA need a paste command

--

---

Gary

May 5, 2016, 10:56:56 PM5/5/16
to VoiceAttack
Hi, there.

Make sure you are running VoiceAttack as an administrator.  If you try to interact with another application that is in a higher security context, Windows will block input.  Also, make sure that you have key down and key up actions, as well as a sufficient pause in between so that your target application will actually be able to pick up the key presses.

Gary

Infin8jest

May 5, 2016, 11:11:03 PM5/5/16
to VoiceAttack
Sorry, I should have specified that I have done both those things and I just tried them again with the same results. Here is what I am asking it to do as an example:

Set Windows cliboard to "Jay Sea"
Press down Left CTRL key
Pause 0,5 seconds
Press down V Key
Pause 0.5 seconds
Release V key
Pause 0.5 seconds
Release Left Ctrl key

I have it targeting the note pad and it does select it. The "Set windows clipboard to "Jay Sea" works because when I physically hit CTRL + V it pastes it into the window.

When recording the key stroke with "Key Press" half the time it will not recognize my key stroke and I have to select it with the onscreen keyboard.

Hope this helps and hope you can help me Gary.
Thanks,
-Infin8jest

Gary

May 5, 2016, 11:37:44 PM5/5/16
to VoiceAttack, adolfd...@yahoo.com
I looked at making an api-based paste command for VA, but it all boils down to context and all the things that could go wrong or be missing, so I looked at going the cheap route of just doing a CTRL+V or a Shift + Insert behind the scenes.  That involves key presses which need pauses that vary from system to system.  That requires a yet more user interface that includes the key press delay.  Since that is so similar to just letting the user do a CTRL + V or Shift + Insert, I left it out.

Gary
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to voiceattack+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Gary

May 5, 2016, 11:42:04 PM5/5/16
to VoiceAttack
What is set as your process target when you issue the command?  That would be the, 'send commands to' box on the main screen.  Make sure that your intended application is in focus if you have, 'active window' selected.

Also, if you are sending key presses to windows apps, make sure you don't have DirectX selected for your input method on your key presses (although notepad will work with either, I think).

Something else to check for is if you have third-party software running that may be intercepting key presses.  Apps like Synergy seem to cause trouble as of late.

Hope that helps!

Gary

Infin8jest

May 6, 2016, 3:09:46 AM5/6/16
to VoiceAttack
Synergy was the culprit Thanks for your help Gary. Hope it gets resolved soon as I do like to use Synergy.