Possible Feature

isaacada1

Oct 22, 2008, 5:33:35 PM10/22/08
to Vodpod API
Thank you for creating such a wonderful tool! I very much appreciate
it.

I wanted to ask about a feature that maybe Vodpod already offers, or
if not could they offer it in the future.

Right now with my account, I have 56 movies in it, and they're all
tagged. I use the video gallery widget on a website to scroll through
all of the. Here's my question. What if I wanted to have video gallery
widgets just listing certain videos, and not the full 56 that are in
my collection. Is that possible? Say 30 of the videos out of the 56
were for Seattle, and I could create a video gallery widget just
showing the Seattle videos, and the other 26 videos could be put into
another video gallery widget.

It's basically like what flickr does with organizing photos with being
able to create galleries, and tags. Everything is in the account, but
you can display certain videos in a gallery. Any word on that feature
being available?

Cheers

Isaac Alexander

Rudy Rosales

Oct 22, 2008, 5:51:18 PM10/22/08
to vodpo...@googlegroups.com
Hey Isaac,

I had the same question, and was able to do do this by saving my videos in VodPod into it's own group.  I could have all my videos sit in five different groups, but coming from one source.  Also, u further define which specific videos to show within that one group b using tags you added to the video when uploading to VodPod.

It may sound wierd here, but quite effective!

Hit me back if u need more clarity.

Rudy

isaacada1

Oct 23, 2008, 9:46:28 AM10/23/08
to Vodpod API
I went back and looked at the create a widget page and saw that you
can indeed
just post what videos you want in a window. I don't know why I didn't
use that
feature before.

Thanks Rudy!

Cheers

Isaac

isaacada1

Oct 23, 2008, 9:54:53 AM10/23/08
to Vodpod API
OK. I do have a question about the tags for a widget. What if you want
to use two different tags for the same window because the one tag
didn't include everything that you wanted in it? Here's a scenario.

What if you go to a annual convention that's been runnning for say 5
years. Lets use the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle as an example.
You start tagging the videos by the following.
pax, seattle, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
ok, now you want to tag some of them even further by the event of that
year.
exhibitor hall, panel, keynote, cosplay, press conference, interview,
fans, board gaming, etc...
Now, you might have one event(opening ceremonies, closing ceremonies)
that is broken up on youtube into 5 different movies.
opening ceremonies, part 1, part 2, etc....

Basically, the way vodpod is set up now, I guess I would just have to
tag the hell out of each file when I upload it. I hope what I wrote
above make sense.

Cheers

Isaac

Rudy Rosales

Oct 23, 2008, 1:49:47 PM10/23/08
to vodpo...@googlegroups.com
Taggin the hell out of it is exactly what u need to do.  Tagging is one of the single most impressive features to all these web 2.0 technologies, as it allows us users to easily clump content together based on tags.  let me know if u are successful with the widget, and shoot me an email if ou would like me to beta it.

Rudy

isaacada1

Nov 1, 2008, 9:31:20 AM11/1/08
to Vodpod API
It's just that I wish that it was easy to make galleries of video's
like it is on flickr, without having to do the same amount of effort
to tagging. Vodpod is making it simpler to make galleries. Adding a
setup to make galleries like what flickr does for photos is a step I
wish could be done. Would make things go much faster.

Granted you can do it buy tagging everything to kingdom come. Some
videos you can tag with at least 5 to 6 tags. However, wouldn't it be
simpler to not have to tag each individual video with so "many" tags,
and just have the ability to create a new widget gallery?

Cheers

Isaac

Rudy Rosales

Nov 1, 2008, 8:55:05 PM11/1/08
to vodpo...@googlegroups.com
True,

I see your point, and making groups will be WAY easy, but But tagging will benefit you in the long run, especially if you have quite a few videos.  It will allow users to not only view videos in groups that you define, but allow users to view videos in groups they dictate.

Let's say for example, that you have 30 videos, and 1 group is tagged as the following:

Group - A
Video 1: sales, toyota, truck, compare, lesson
Video 2: sales, honda, crv, AC, suspension
Video 3: sales, toyota, AC, suspension, marketing, car
Video 4: sales, BMW, brakes, 2.3_liter, scoop
Video 5: sales, Dodge, truck, 4.5_liter, HEMI, compare

Other videos

Video 6: marketing, suspension, Toyota, Honda
Video 7: advertising, BMW, suspension, 3.0_liter
Video 8: discussions, 2.3_liter, scoop, compare
etc.

After they watch a video in YOUR defined sales group, and look @ the tags, they may want to dig deeper into specific areas, like marketing, or just Toyota tagged movies.

Now, if you are just using the widget as a cool way to show your video, and not have them go to your vodpod profile, than that would be a different story.

Rudy