Aligning an Ontolex resource in EDOAL

Roland Wingerter

Jan 12, 2023, 1:49:12 PM1/12/23
to vocbench-user
Dear VB3 team,

I have been looking at EDOAL, to find out if it can be used to align English Wordnet to Wikipedia/DBpedia and/or validate existing mappings. However, a use case like this would require a "Concept" tab in the data view of the Ontolex project.

Currently, the EDOAL data view side panels show the following tabs (depending on the model of the projects involved):
  • OWL: Class, Property
  • SKOS: Concept, Scheme
  • Ontolex: Lexicon, Lex.Entry
Please consider adding "Concept" and "Scheme" tabs for Ontolex projects.

Kind regards
Roland

Armando Stellato

Jan 13, 2023, 12:49:41 PM1/13/23
to Roland Wingerter, vocbench-user

Thanks Roland for spotting this!

We will definitely add that.

Kind Regards,

Armando

Roland Wingerter

Jan 13, 2023, 12:51:48 PM1/13/23
to vocbench-user
Thank you very much, Armando!

Roland Wingerter

Jan 16, 2023, 10:46:35 AM1/16/23
to vocbench-user
FWIW, manual validation of the mappings in the VB3 UI of my English Wordnet Ontolex project works great.
Big kudos to the VocBench team!

The screenshot attached shows a screen with "splitted view" displaying data from two repositories (Open English Wordnet and DBpedia).

- left pane: English Wordnet concepts
- middle pane: resource view of Wordnet concept "radius" (broader: "arm bone")
- right pane: resource view of DBpedia resource "radius (bone)".

In the middle pane you can see the original mapping proposed in a crowdsourced project (here represented as skos:mappingRelation) and the correct mapping (represented as owl:sameAs). By keeping the original mapping, changes are completely transparent.

Kind regards
Roland
VB3 Mapping Validation.png

Armando Stellato

Jan 17, 2023, 5:52:12 AM1/17/23
to Roland Wingerter, vocbench-user

Dear Roland,

glad you appreciated :-) btw, thanks once more for your feedback on the EDOAL project, the tabs organizer (allowing you to select which tabs you want to see) has been added for Ontolex projects shown in EDOAL projects and the concept tab has been activated by default.

As a side note (it’s not related to VB), a couple of comments about the relationships you found and the one you established:

  1. The one you found is underspecified: skos:mappingRelation should be an abstract property, an umbrella over the skos mapping properties that should be used
  2. The one you set is owl:sameAs, however for SKOS resources this is discouraged. The rationale for this lies in the strong implications of owl:sameAs which is not simply suggesting that those two concepts mean the same thing, rather they are exactly two names for the same logical object. While this may sound as the same thing (in a Tarskian perspective, if the interpretation on the domain is the same because “they mean the same thing”, then those logical objects are simply two referents for the same domain object), in the case of owl:sameAs this is explicit and a reasoner treats them as the same logical object, thus you might even incur in inconsistencies between the intensions of two linked thesauri (which, we know, are usually large and not characterized by a rigorous logical modeling), while by using some skos mapping property a reasoner would treat them as different objects (because the semantics of skos mapping relations do not imply any formal connection between the linked nodes), thus the mapping relations are only intended for applications which, looking at them, may define proper navigation/linking across the thesauri. For instance, in your case you could use a skos:exactMatch relation, and an application performing, say, semantically indexed information retrieval could respond to a query performed on your thesaurus, by retrieving documents that are indexed with the dbpedia “radius bone” concept because of their exactMatch connection.

Kind Regards,

Armando

Roland Wingerter

Jan 17, 2023, 4:54:39 PM1/17/23
to vocbench-user
Dear Armando,

Thank you for your warning and your recommendation to use the skos mapping properties instead of owl:sameAs. I will follow your advice.

In this case an underspecified relationship (skos:mappingRelation) is good enough for me, as there is nothing else to start from.

My validation process depends on the ability to distinguish the original mappings from my own. This makes it possible to report exactly what has been changed (triples added/deleted). And it requires only a minimum of manual input.

Kind regards

Roland

Roland Wingerter

Jan 19, 2023, 3:54:25 AM1/19/23
to vocbench-user
Dear Armando,

you wrote: the tabs organizer (allowing you to select which tabs you want to see) has been added for Ontolex projects shown in EDOAL projects and the concept tab has been activated by default.

Great, thank you. A tabs organizer will be a great addition. (In an Ontolex project, the structure view has eight tabs, ...)

Kind regards
Roland

Roland Wingerter

Jan 19, 2023, 11:02:06 AM1/19/23
to vocbench-user
Dear Armando,

since I mentioned Ontolex ... Actually, until now I had not been aware of the "Tree/List settings" dialog accessible through the gear button. Good to know!

Kind regards

Roland

Armando Stellato

Jan 23, 2023, 5:14:20 AM1/23/23
to Roland Wingerter, vocbench-user

Oh, ya, that’s very useful in Ontolex, especially for large lexical databases..

We should advertise more certain features. However, for those that come handy for performance reasons, we have put alerts in VB. Whenever something to show is too cumbersome, VB alerts the user that another view might be a better choice for the specific dataset,

Cheers,

Armando