Editing an imported ontology

Roland Wingerter

Jan 19, 2023, 4:40:18 AM1/19/23
to vocbench-user
Dear VB3 team,

the ability to change the working graph can be used to edit an imported ontology. For example, I can add a superproperty to an existing property and the triple will be written to the working graph.

However, when I create a new property (or subproperty), the "Create property" modal dialog defaults to the project's base uri, not to the uri of the working graph.

My question is, whether this work as designed.

(The workaround is to unlock the namespace by clicking on the button provided and change the uri.)

Kind regards
Roland

Armando Stellato

Jan 19, 2023, 5:39:21 AM1/19/23
to Roland Wingerter, vocbench-user

Dear Roland,

Thanks for reporting this; I also noticed this (again, but the first time I forgot to take note of it) just recently and, yes, I agree it should be managed somehow. I would not opt for a specific choice as there are two scenarios here:

  • You are simply editing two different artifacts in the same project (e.g. a dataset and its ontology). In this case, definitely better to switch baseuri together with the working graph
  • You are editing a multi-graph dataset (this was also one of the user requests that triggered this feature). In this case, there could be no binding between the graph URI and the baseuri to be suggested when creating a new resource and, in lack of other things to suggest, we would opt for using always the same baseuri, no matter the graph.
  • A further evolution is to create bindings between graphs and baseuris, also because a scenario could be actually a combination of the two above

Maybe one option is to have a guard per-project for this, and set it whenever the user chooses a new graph..and possibly have another one, per project, asking the user if they want to be asked whenever they change the graph

So, not a big effort, but it requires some proper work. I will schedule as a necessary evolution, thanks!

Armando

Roland Wingerter

Jan 19, 2023, 6:37:31 AM1/19/23
to vocbench-user
Thank you, Armando! (I only had in mind the first scenario).
Kind regards
Roland