deep link to concept

Arno van Wouwe

Apr 15, 2022, 7:37:54 AM4/15/22
to vocbench-user
Hi all,

Does anyone here have experience in the publication of ontologies as web pages? If you have a tool that you are happy with, would be great if you can share it.

Unless I am wrong, there is no way to deep link into VocBench?

Best regards,

    Arno

Eugene Morozov

Apr 15, 2022, 8:07:31 AM4/15/22
to vocbench-user
Hi Arno,

I used Jekyll RDF (https://github.com/white-gecko/jekyll-rdf) and Jekyll to publish a SKOS concept scheme as a set of static pages with GitHub Pages (https://pages.github.com/) and it did the job nicely. A _very_ simple taxonomy with the site source are here https://github.com/cadmiumkitty/moneyaggvoc/ and the results are here https://cadmiumkitty.github.io/moneyaggvoc/. The same can be done with OWL ontologies or any other RDF data as opposed to SKOS taxonomies, and Azure Static Web Apps (https://azure.microsoft.com/en-ca/services/app-service/static/) as opposed to GitHub Pages.

I have not looked at deep-linking into VocBench, but don't recall it using routes in the URL to drive navigation in the Angular-based app (I have not looked at the latest version and may be wrong).

Eugene.

Armando Stellato

Apr 15, 2022, 8:58:02 AM4/15/22
to Arno van Wouwe, vocbench-user

Dear Arno,

it depends on how to interpret your question but I have two solutions, one for each scenario:

  1. If you meant a browsable app for which you can have URLs for addressing each single resource in a dataset, you can give a look at the VocBench companion, ShowVoc: http://showvoc.uniroma2.it/
    In ShowVoc you can browse different kind of resources as you do in VocBench (OWL ontologies, SKOS/SKOS-XL thesauri, Ontolex lexicons and annotated ontologies, RDF datasets in general). SV is not just an “edit-stripped-out” version of VB; besides a dedicated UI for optimizing fruition, you have also a global lexical index of all dataset, translation API using multilingual datasets and links among different datasets, linkset browsing and many other dedicated features oriented at fruition of content.
    Currently, there’s already a way to address each single RDF resources in any dataset through dedicated URIs (which you could then associate to the URIs of your published resources to obtain HTTP dereferenciation). Before summer, we will also release a version managing HTTP dereferenciation more internally, so that server configuration is reduced to a minimum.
    One other thing you can also already do with the latest current version is to embed it into another webpage (there are some parameters to be added in all requests so that you can obtain a smaller window on the UI that can be easily embedded into another web page).

  1. If you meant ontology documentation, we have a template-based system, where you can prepare the static parts of your web page, and have the dynamic parts be computed automatically each time you want to release a new version of the ontology, by querying its content.
    The ontology/thesaurus/lexicon documentation is based on templates built onto the more general functionality for building reports in VocBench: http://vocbench.uniroma2.it/doc/user/custom_reports.jsf (it’s the templates the name of which end with “docgen”)
    There is also the possibility to store pictures within VocBench and to link them in the report so that these will be reused at each iteration, thus providing a all-in-one solution for ontology documentation maintenance.

Kind Regards,

Armando