Cloning a project for testing

db...@essex.ac.uk

Jun 3, 2021, 7:59:38 AM6/3/21
to vocbench-user
Hi, does anyone know if there is an efficient way of "cloning" a VocBench project?
Currently, we just do a Global Data Export and then re-import into a new project.
However. this means we have to set up all of the project permissions again and import additional namespaces.
I just wondered if there was another way we copy a project that would preserve all of the project settings as well as the data.
Many thanks, Darren Bell (UK Data Archive)

Armando Stellato

Jun 3, 2021, 6:53:31 PM6/3/21
to db...@essex.ac.uk, vocbench-user

Dear Darren,

that’s indeed a nice feature to implement.

I’ll tell you what you can do now, which can spare you some time, but it’s an hack and requires to access the file system. Also, this info should be correct, but…pls take the time to play a little with it and check that everything is correct.

Basically, in the SemanticTurkeyData directory, sibling to semanticturkey-x.y, go inside the projects folder and make a copy of one project…then…

…then there are two aspects to cover: data and project configuration.

DATA

If the project’s data is in a local repository, that should be enough: the copy of the directory you made already contains a copy of the data.

If the project’s data is in a remote repository, then you need to either export the data as you used to do and then reload it through VB, or you make a copy of the repo through GDB somehow and then you make the project point to this new repo (see next section). For the name of the repo, I suggest to use a repository’s name that is consistent with the default pattern applied to the repository name based on the project name (i.e. <PROJECTNAME>_CORE )

PROJECT

  • Rename the project folder as you like (it must be different from all other projects, but that is guaranteed by the file system in any case; pls notice that this unicity is case-insensitive, so avoid on Linux/MacOS any combination that is redundant with another project folder with only a different case
  • In the project.info file, change the following values:
    • name: to the new project folder name
    • in case the project has its data on a remote repo, edit file repositories/core/config.ttl and change the name of the repo to the one that you created in the previous data section

Kind Regards,

Armando

db...@essex.ac.uk

Jun 4, 2021, 8:12:17 AM6/4/21
to vocbench-user
Thank you for responding so quickly Armando.  I will keep the instructions for future reference.  Regards, Darren

Armando Stellato

Jun 4, 2021, 9:18:43 AM6/4/21
to db...@essex.ac.uk, vocbench-user

Thanks to you Darren for the feedback,

I put it on the todo list for future roadmaps to be filled. Indeed it’s a useful feature, we simply never covered it because, in order to cover all possible cases automatically, it would not be as trivial as it might seem and then we always had other priorities taking precedence,

Kind Regards,

Armando