Migrating VB to a completely new server?

db...@essex.ac.uk

Feb 29, 2024, 5:01:20 AMFeb 29
to vocbench-user
Hi, we current run VB 11.4.2 on a CentOS server with a separate GraphDB 9.8.1 back-end.
We need to retire CentOS and migrate our VB instance to a brand new Rocky Linux 9 server.  We will keep the same GraphDB server.
If I do a fresh install of VB 11.4.2 on the new server, can I just copy certain folders e.g. 'SemanticTurkeyData' from the old server to the new server installation, or is it more complicated than that?
Many thanks, Darren Bell (UK Data Archive).

Armando Stellato

Feb 29, 2024, 6:09:57 AMFeb 29
to db...@essex.ac.uk, vocbench-user

Dear Darren,

Everything about VB is in the SemanticTurkeyData directory so, yes, you can just copy that one.

About GDB, the data directory within it should do as well

Kind regards,

Armando

Joeli Takala

Feb 29, 2024, 8:36:32 AMFeb 29
to vocbench-user
Dear Darren,

I have set up the exact same setup before! :) There were some issues with RHEL9 SELinux features when running VocBench as a system service as a specific machine user (instead of just running it from the semanticturkey/bin/karaf manually). If you are not setting up VB to start automatically as the server starts, please disregard!

 - There can be issues when VB is not installed to the root partition. You need to make sure the different partitions are mounted before the service is started. Don't know how specific this is to RHEL9 but I haven't had the issue with other Linux servers
 - RHEL9 does not like symlinks for service description files. If you generate the the file using karaf's inbuilt feature:
   - karaf@root()> feature:install service-wrapper
   - karaf@root()> wrapper:install
   - systemctl enable /path/to/semanticturkey/bin/karaf.service
   - Make sure you remove the generated symlink and copy the karaf.service file to the service description file folder
 - Oddly, when generating the service description file using the karaf that comes with VB3 11.4.2, it generated a script with the java path as null, that caused problems. It had to be configured separately in semanticturkey/etc/karaf-wrapper.conf. I don't know if this was a specific propblem with the way I had Java configured in RHEL, or was it a karaf issue.
- There might arise need for changing the file contexts for log files and such with semanage and restorecon commands

_______
Joeli