Latest on Installing vocbench3 on Windows 11

Juan Amador

Apr 26, 2022, 9:05:49 AM4/26/22
to vocbench-user
Hi  - just some notes from my installation

Because Apache Karaf can ONLY use Java 8 (circa 2014). Some precautions are a must.

1)  Remove ALL java installs before installing Java 8
      This ensures that Common Files, Java entry is deleted

2) Download the Java Runtime Environment (eg  jre-8u331-windows-x64.exe )  - do not use the JDK as it adds debris in more places.

3)  Install Java8 in its dedicated folder.  I went for C:\Z_java8  so it is out of the way as i will need to install more up-to-date Java at some point.

4) In Windows environment variables -
      4a) Ensure that path has javapath as the latest entry
      4b} Create  a JAVA_HOME entry pointing to C:\Z_java8

5)  Reboot !  so the environment variables are picked

6) open command prompt and run "java -version" - should tell you is running java 1.8

7) Go to bin directory of vocbench3

8) run "karaf"

9) wait until the firewall prompt shows up and say "allow all"
     (in polite society,  software that calls home are not allowed- but we will no go there)

10) logging should end with "ST Started"  (ST = Semantic Turkey)

11) Go to browser and type locahost:1979/vocbench3

Should work !!

Armando Stellato

Apr 27, 2022, 5:50:30 AM4/27/22
to Juan Amador, vocbench-user

Dear Juan,

thanks for your experience report :-) indeed these guides can always help newcomers.

I hope you wouldn’t mind if I make some clarifications, as some statements might lead to wrong general conclusions:

1)  Remove ALL java installs before installing Java 8

This is not necessary. One can manage multiple java installations (I personally do). Simplest trick with two versions (e.g. 8, which is still used by many applications, and the latest) I do for VB and other applications is that I keep java<LATEST> on the path, while I configure JAVA_HOME to be on Java 8.

Thus:

  • VB3 ignores the path as its batch/bash files look explicitly for JAVA_HOME and Java 8 is properly used
  • Any other application that is not using JAVA_HOME will be run directly by java<LATEST>

This is very simple, obviously other things can be devised, e.g. if other applications are looking on JAVA_HOME, you can put in their batch/bash file instructions for setting the variable, so it will be local to the process that run them, and you can use as many java versions as you need.

However, if a user is not familiar with computer settings (yet they can use applications), and they do not need any other java version in particular, yes, the advise to tear down all other java versions and install only Java 8 might help in case the user is stuck at some point. Just clarifying here that it is not necessary.

5)  Reboot !  so the environment variables are picked

No need to reboot, each new process will automatically read the latest value of the variable. Probably what happened is that you run a console, changed the variable and then you saw it is not changed on that same console. You can try starting another console and you will see that it will be updated with no need of a reboot.

Kind Regards,

Armando