VocBench/Semantic Turkey internationalization campaign

Armando Stellato

Jun 18, 2021, 1:10:57 PM6/18/21
to vocbench-user, semantict...@googlegroups.com, roland-w...@t-online.de
Dear all,

since version 9.0, VB3 and Semantic Turkey support internationalization.

If anybody is interested in participating as a translator for their own language (or any language they read and write with native proficiency), we would welcome their effort!

Currently, there are two directories of localization files for VocBench: one for the VB3 client and one for Semantic Turkey.

Here they are:

*Semantic Turkey*

https://bitbucket.org/art-uniroma2/semantic-turkey/src/master/l10n/src/main/resources/it/uniroma2/art/semanticturkey/l10n/

*VocBench*

https://bitbucket.org/art-uniroma2/vocbench3/src/master/src/assets/l10n/

Currently, we have mature localizations for:

* English (well, it's the native language for VB)
* Italian (it's the native language for all VB developers :-) )

The candidate contributors can send an email to me, so that I will assign them the localization and reroute to them other contributors for sharing the job.

A localization is being developed for German (thanks to Roland Wingerter @roland-w...@t-online.de ! we just need to reformat according to the proper format). If anybody wants to help (revising it or adding the server) they can contact both me and him for coordination.

China's CAS and CAAS will be helping for Chinese, but work has yet to be started, so if there are other interested contributors, pls let me know, I will put you all in contact.

Indeed, revision for English could be also welcome so even though it's "mature" in terms of coverage, I'm sure there's lot of improvement that can be brought.

Currently, we will work simply on the localization files that are hosted on the GIT repository of the projects. We are not using translation platforms such as transifex, but for the future we plan to host a VocBench instance with a thesaurus holding all translations for.,..the platform itself ;-)

Hope to get tenths of messages of candidate translators! :-),

Armando

Armando Stellato, PhD
ART Research Group,
Dept. of Enterprise Engineering
University of Roma, Tor Vergata
Via del Politecnico 1 00133 ROMA (ITALY)
tel: +39 06 7259 7330 (office, room A1-14);
     +39 06 7259 7332 (lab)
e_mail: stel...@uniroma2.it

Roland Wingerter

Jun 19, 2021, 5:29:37 AM6/19/21
to vocbench-user
Dear all,

please find attached the VB3 language files (en.json, it.json, de.json). I downloaded them today and converted them to csv format (to be more exact, I imported them into Babeledit https://www.codeandweb.com/babeledit and exported them as csv).

The files may be useful for those of you who consider translating and maybe just want to have a look at the data first. You might even choose to do your translation in your favourite editor or in Excel - there are converters which can convert csv to JSON (e.g. https://www.convertcsv.com/csv-to-json.htm). I did the German translation in Excel and found it very convenient. There is even a free "Excel Text Translator" Add-In for Excel, which uses www.deepL.com for automatic translation. I can definitely recommend it for the first draught, it will give you a great jump-start.

Kind regards
Roland
VB3 JSON files as csv.zip

Roland Wingerter

Jun 21, 2021, 5:37:43 AM6/21/21
to vocbench-user
My apologies, seems I was too optimistic regarding the conversion from csv to JSON. Looks like there are various JSON formats and conversion from csv (with materialized TranslationIDs representing the hierarchical structure) to the required JSON format (with nested arrays) might be a problem.

Kind regards
Roland

Caracciolo, Caterina (ESS)

Jun 22, 2021, 6:12:53 AM6/22/21
to Armando Stellato, vocbench-user, semantict...@googlegroups.com, roland-w...@t-online.de
Ciao Armando, all,

Nice initiative! I've forwarded the call to my colleagues. Do you have plans also for the internationalization of PMKI as well? Wrt VocBench, there is less to translate, but considering that PMKI is for the public (as opposed to trained editors) it may be useful.

Best
Caterina

Caterina Caracciolo, PhD
Statistics Division, FAO

Roland Wingerter

Jun 23, 2021, 6:11:56 AM6/23/21
to vocbench-user
Dear VocBench users,

here is an update to my previous posts.

The attached zip archive contains the VB3 translation files in Excel and CSV format. The content corresponds to the JSON files available on bitbucket (the most recent update from two days ago). The German translations (de.json) are more up-to-date than on bitbucket.

The Excel and CSV files have been created by exporting them from BabelEdit. BabelEdit also imports data from Excel and CSV. It also allows data to be converted to the JSON format ("Namespaced JSON") required by VB3. I have a BabelEdit personal license. If you need help to convert data from JSON to Excel/CSV or vice versa, please drop me a line.

Kind regards
Roland
VB3 Localization.zip

Roland Wingerter

Jun 23, 2021, 6:24:28 AM6/23/21
to vocbench-user
You don't need to copy and paste. Click the link above and follow the instructions in the last reply.

Armando Stellato

Jun 23, 2021, 8:45:47 AM6/23/21
to Caracciolo, Caterina (ESS), vocbench-user, semantict...@googlegroups.com, roland-w...@t-online.de
Dear Caterina,

sure there is. Thing is..PMKI is still not totally out...well...more or less :-)
I mentioned its existence in a few posts here and there's been a release 1.0, the source code is out : https://bitbucket.org/art-uniroma2/showvoc/, but the official release (with a proper name, as PMKI is the name of the project funding it but is not fully reflecting its characteristics) will be this July.

The name of the platform will be ShowVoc and it will be a publication/browsing companion to VocBench.
For those new to it, the main differences wrt VB will be:
* streamlined interface, focused on content browsing rather than editing
* community contributions, with different ways to contribute content to a ShowVoc installation
* inter-dataset services, such as term search, term translation and alignment browsing, all working on the whole set of hosted datasets (e.g. search returns terms found in all the datasets, alignment browsing shows several interfaces such as graphs and trees for browsing the collection of hosted of datasets, using their linksets as connections).

For those interested in providing localizations for the various languages, here's the directory:
https://bitbucket.org/art-uniroma2/showvoc/src/master/src/assets/l10n/

However, we will provide more insights when the system is finally out and its public site is up,

Kind Regards,

Armando
> user/PR3PR05MB706716D84CB07E5A3CBA7680FB099%40PR3PR05MB7067.eur
> prd05.prod.outlook.com.

Armando Stellato

Jun 23, 2021, 9:03:58 AM6/23/21
to Roland Wingerter, vocbench-user

Thanks a lot Roland for this great contribution!

I’ve already pushed it to the GIT repository of VocBench.

I remind those interested in contributing to German that they can:

  • Inform me and Roland about it
  • Provide translations for Semantic Turkey (containing msgs coming from the server, while those available for VB cover all the parts in the UI), which are still missing

All other interested contributors for other languages can contact me for being assigned the language for which they are offering to provide translations,

Kind Regards,

Armando

Roland Wingerter

Jun 24, 2021, 10:00:02 AM6/24/21
to vocbench-user
Here is an update concerning automatic translation tools.

I have used BabelEdit's (BE) automatic translation and I definitely can recommend it (Free 30-Days Trial, Personal License 39 €). BE uses translation services by Google, DeepL, and Microsoft Bing. It is easy to use, saves a lot of time and the results are pretty good. Of course, to ensure quality, you have to check all the translations manually. The price is very fair, a quota of 500.000 characters is 19,99 €. (The VB3 UI texts have a total of 67.000 characters).

"A quota is included in every license — even the trial license gets a small quota for exploring the feature. You can use the feature as long as the quota is not reached. After that you can extend the quota by purchasing a machine translation package." (https://www.codeandweb.com/babeledit/documentation/machine-translation)

Excel Text Translator is a free download, but unless you buy a license (Single User 179 €), it only translates 5 lines of text at a time. Not recommended.

MS Office also features a Translator, but it is not well integrated. You need to copy the translation results and when you paste them into an Excel sheet, they all end up in the same cell.  Not recommended.

Kind regards

Roland

Roland Wingerter

Jun 25, 2021, 10:57:40 AM6/25/21
to vocbench-user
Dear all,

the zip archives in the attachment contain the translation files for ST (SemanticTurkey) and ShowVoc in Excel and CSV format. The content corresponds to the latest language files available on bitbucket (ShowVoc: 2021/06/18, ST: 2021/06/17).

Kind regards
Roland
ST Localization EN IT.zip
ShowVoc Localization EN IT.zip

Roland Wingerter

Jun 25, 2021, 12:35:02 PM6/25/21
to vocbench-user
Here is a short report of my experience translating the VB3 language file (en.json) into German.

I used automatic translation in BabelEdit. It was quick, and the results looked pretty good. Next, I set out to check everything, approve it or improve on it to the best of my ability. After a while, I realized I was going very slow for various reasons.
  • There were many cases I was not entirely satisfied with.
  • If there were alternative solutions, I found it difficult to decide which would be the best one.
  • I had no idea how to ensure consistent translations and avoid unmotivated variants of technical terms.
I also felt that I would feel more comfortable working in Excel. In contrast to BabelEdit, Excel allows
  • a status field with multiple values (BE only offers approved: true/false)
  • ability to add additional fields (e.g number of words in source language - you may want to translate short texts first)
  • advanced filtering
  • ... and sorting
I exported the data to Excel and continued there.

I created a glossary (see attachment) and added English terms that could help to analyze the vocabulary and give me better terminological control. Using these glossary terms as filters allowed me to check all occurrences of a given term and its German (and Italian) translations. It is a good feeling to know that you can come back later and improve on what you have done, without going through everything line by line.

Kind regards
Roland

2021_06_25 VB3 Glossary.zip

Caracciolo, Caterina (ESS)

Jun 28, 2021, 10:24:48 AM6/28/21
to Armando Stellato, vocbench-user, semantict...@googlegroups.com, roland-w...@t-online.de
Dear Armando,

Thanks for the explanations. Indeed, a "proper" name would help new users a lot! If I may, what about something even clearer, like "VocBrowser" or "VocExplorer"? Also to keep the name composition "aligned" with VocBench.

My 2cents 😊

Best
Caterina

Roland Wingerter

Jun 28, 2021, 11:22:44 AM6/28/21
to vocbench-user
Armando Stellato wrote:

For those interested in providing localizations for the various languages, here's the directory:
https://bitbucket.org/art-uniroma2/showvoc/src/master/src/assets/l10n/
<<

Here is a link to the PMKI User Manual.

ShowVoc has 453 ShowVoc UI texts to be translated, more than half of them are also used in VB3.
If translations for VB3 into a given language already exist, 58,3% of translations can be inherited from VB3 by matching keys (Translation ID) or English UI text (see statistics in attachment).

Roland
ShowVoc translation statistics.PNG

Roland Wingerter

Jul 2, 2021, 8:23:11 AM7/2/21
to vocbench-user
Please find attached de.json for ShowVoc in the correct JSON format.
Roland
de.zip

Armando Stellato

Jul 5, 2021, 9:28:56 AM7/5/21
to Roland Wingerter, vocbench-user

Dear Roland,

thanks a lot for practically covering all the German language for both VB and ShowVoc!

Armando

Jul 5, 2021, 9:30:26 AM7/5/21
to Caracciolo, Caterina (ESS), vocbench-user, semantict...@googlegroups.com, roland-w...@t-online.de

That's a long story and a long list of names...

Anyway, the idea was to mimic the concept of showcase (even though the real noun position in the composition there is inverted) and to rhyme with...well more to come :-)

Roland Wingerter

Jul 5, 2021, 12:33:15 PM7/5/21
to vocbench-user
Dear VocBench team,

the German translation for ST is nearing completion. I will post it tomorrow.

Kind regards
Roland

Roland Wingerter

Jul 6, 2021, 2:20:48 AM7/6/21
to vocbench-user
Dear VocBench team,

the attachment contains a zip archive with the German translation for ST (Messages_de.properties).

Kind regards
Roland
Messages_de.zip

Roland Wingerter

Aug 9, 2021, 11:17:35 AM8/9/21
to vocbench-user
Dear VocBench team,

here are the latest versions of the German language files for VB3, Semantic Turkey, and ShowVoc. I am posting them here because I am having problems with my email account and can't be sure that my e-mails to you will be delivered.

Kind regards
Roland
ShowVoc Localization DE.zip
ST ValidationMessages_de.zip
VB3 Localization DE.zip
ST Messages DE.zip

Armando Stellato

Aug 10, 2021, 6:26:36 PM8/10/21
to Roland Wingerter, vocbench-user

Dear Roland,

thanks a lot for this updated contribution!!

I take the occasion to renew the invitation for whoever is interested in contributing other languages to the range of localizations for VocBench.

They can contact me for being assigned the language for which they are offering to provide translations

Kind Regards,

Armando