Does Sheet2RDF handle multivalued cells

Sophie Aubin

Mar 23, 2022, 4:45:15 AM3/23/22
to vocbench-user
Dear VB team,

My source file contains multivalued cells, e.g. altLabels. Is there a converter that allows to split multivalued cells before creating triples?
I am using VB 9.1.0

and what I'd like to have

Armando Stellato

Mar 23, 2022, 8:09:10 AM3/23/22
to Sophie Aubin, vocbench-user

Dear Sophie,

thanks for raising this up. Indeed it seems there is no ready solution for this, and it’s a pity because we have indeed most of the pieces that would make it possible:

  • The possibility, in PEARL, for a feature to hold multiple values instead of one. The triples (to be forked) are handled properly and automatically by analyzing the shape of the graph.
  • An analyzer able to format the input content
  • The possibility to concatenate converters (so, in theory, one converter could originate multiple features that would then feed a second converter)

But, if I’m not missing anything, we can’t produce multiple values from the formatting converter.

Duly noted for an interesting addenda.

Short solution is that:

  • you can easily:
    • paste the multi-valued columns into a text-editor
    • process the content with some regexp or reg-exp like expression and replace “;” with tabs and “, e.g. “\“\t\”“.
    • Paste it back into several columns of the excel file.
  • Sheet2RDF supports columns of the same type (even same name, so you can use skos:altLabel@fr for all of them, and then it will be automatically setup by the wizard based on the common convention for the header)

Kind Regards,

Armando

Sophie Aubin

Mar 23, 2022, 8:39:34 AM3/23/22
to vocbench-user
Thanks a lot Armando.
That would be a very useful feature indeed!
As I have several multivalued columns, I've opted for another solution to handle multivalued cells. Using OpenRefine, I split cells into several rows and completed each row with the concept id (very easy in OpenRefine with the "Fill down" feature)
And Sheet2RDF is very happy with this.

Best,
Sophie

Roland Wingerter

Mar 23, 2022, 9:22:23 AM3/23/22
to vocbench-user
Hi everyone,
I would like to add that it can also be done in Excel. Search the web for "excel split text into different columns".
Kind regards
Roland

Thomas Francart

Mar 23, 2022, 9:37:56 AM3/23/22
to Roland Wingerter, vocbench-user
Hello

Sorry to jump in for shameless auto-promotion, but the xls2rdf converter [1] integrated in SKOS Play [2] handles the splitting of multiple values easily : https://skos-play.sparna.fr/play/convert#split

Best Regards
Thomas

Kind Regards,

Armando

My source file contains multivalued cells, e.g. altLabels. Is there a converter that allows to split multivalued cells before creating triples?

I am using VB 9.1.0

and what I'd like to have

Thomas Francart - SPARNA
Web de données | Architecture de l'information | Accès aux connaissances
blog :
blog.sparna.fr, site : sparna.fr, linkedin : fr.linkedin.com/in/thomasfrancart
tel :
 +33 (0)6.71.11.25.97
, skype : francartthomas

Armando Stellato

Mar 23, 2022, 9:51:30 AM3/23/22
to Thomas Francart, Roland Wingerter, vocbench-user

Hi Thomas!

No worries, that’s not shameless at all. The good thing of standards is that you can really have different tools cooperate to achieve the best result ;-)