dct vs dcterms prefix

Jan Vlug

Apr 11, 2024, 11:44:36 AMApr 11
to vocbench-user
I noticed that in VocBench v.11.4.2 for a SKOS/SKOS project automatically the prefix dct will be added for the http://purl.org/dc/terms/ namespace.

The Dublin Core Collection Description Application Profile (search for prefix in the document) recommends the prefix dcterms.

Would it be possible to set the default prefix for the http://purl.org/dc/terms/ namespace in VocBench to dcterms?

Armando Stellato

Apr 12, 2024, 4:42:56 AMApr 12
to Jan Vlug, vocbench-user

Dear Jan,

Tech-wise: basically, the “dct” prefix is set by the underlying triplestore (now, to be precise, I haven’t checked if, in the case of GDB, this is in turn coming from the RDF4J architecture but I guess not) and we prefer to just rely on those provided by it instead of putting rewrites in the code.

Not sure if I’m mentioning something trivial, but even though these default mappings appear in grey (exactly because these are predefined), you can still override them by using the pencil button (you will see the overridden ones in black).

In any case, I’m not 100% sure dcterms is really a recommendation or just the prefix used in that document (well, they have to use one :-) ).

In the doc, they only say “Prefixes are assumed to be associated with Namespace Names (URIs) as follows” but this is more a reference for the document itself, telling “in this document when you find the prefix “dcterms”, it is to be expanded into this namespace”.

“dct” is a very commonly used prefix for the dc terms vocabulary as well as “dcterms” is (you can check both appearing on prefix.cc)

Kind Regards,

Armando