Time Domain Analysis Error

Dr. Scott Best

Mar 7, 2023, 10:33:47 AM3/7/23
to VNA Tools
I was attempting to use VNA Tools to analyze a defective coax cable, which can be seen here in VNA Tools:

Cable S11 Mag and Phase, March 7, 2023.jpg

When I select Conv: Time Domain, I should see a TDR plot for this cable, but the screen is blank as shown here:

TDR Plot, March 7, 2023.jpg

The S1P file is attached, and I did not find any errors in the file, so what is preventing it from being converted into a TDR Plot?

Thanks in advance for your assistance in resolving this issue,

Scott
CABLE W LOAD.S1P

Michael Wollensack METAS

Mar 22, 2023, 10:19:14 AM3/22/23
to VNA Tools
Hi,

you can show the console window using  (CTRL + F11 or Option / Console) and then you would see a warning why it cannot be shown in time domain:

WARNING ComputeTimeScale:  Maximum frequency must be a multiple of the largest frequency step.
WARNING ComputeTimeDomain:  Maximum frequency must be a multiple of the largest frequency step.

Take as well a look at appendix D Time Domain of the VNA Tools Math Reference.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Michael