Find out Gamma for Multiline TRL

Md. Imtiaz Kamrul

Sep 13, 2021, 12:33:38 AM9/13/21
to VNA Tools
Hello everyone, It may appear to be a simple question, but I am having difficulty implementing the multilne calibration.

I have two Line standard files, as well as thru, reflect, and DUT files. But how do I get a gamma file for calibration? Is there anyone who has any idea on this?

Thank you very much to everyone.

Michael Wollensack METAS

Sep 21, 2021, 8:51:59 AM9/21/21
to VNA Tools
Hi,

take a look at the `06_TRL_Example_3.5mm(f-m)` example.

Regards
Michael

Tomo Yokoyama

Sep 28, 2021, 7:30:46 PM9/28/21
to VNA Tools
I have the same question about how to find Gamma and Zo.
I ran 06_TRL_Example_3.5mm(f-m)  example.
I used Opt_01.calcfg and created Opt_01.calb.  I corrected all the standards and examined in DataExplore.
That was as far as I was able to go.  I did not see any tab / dialog to display Z0 (real, imaginary), estimated Er, and Gamma.
Do I need to run a script or some sort?
Could you please provide me more directions?  Thank you for your help.

Michael Wollensack METAS

Oct 4, 2021, 10:38:15 AM10/4/21
to VNA Tools
Hi,

take a look at the `PlotCalibrationZ0and Gamma.m` file. This MATLAB file is located under `C:\Users\Public\Documents\Metas.Vna.Tools\Matlab`.

Regards
Michael

Tomo Yokoyama

Oct 5, 2021, 12:27:22 PM10/5/21
to VNA Tools
Michael,
Thanks for your suggestion.
I tried to run 'PlotCalibrationZ0andGamma.m', with input of 'Opt_01.cakcfg' file in the '06_TRL_Example_3.5mm(fm)' .
I am getting Matlab error, "Unable to resolve the name Metas.Vna.Tools.Global.DatabaseRootPath".
Metas.Vna.Tools.Global.DatabaseRootPath is one of the input for NET.invokeGenericMethod, to get Z0_Gamma & c.

What is the correct path for this? How is it used?
I do not think that that is the path where 'calcfg' file is located.
Let me know.  Thanks for your help.

Tomo

Michael Wollensack METAS

Oct 6, 2021, 8:18:47 AM10/6/21
to VNA Tools
Hi,

first of all:
- You need to run LoadVNATools as first command in MATLAB.
- You need to set the database path using the following command: NET.setStaticProperty('Metas.Vna.Tools.Global.DatabaseRootPath', 'C:\Users\Public\Documents\Metas.Vna.Tools\Database')
- MATLAB version?
- METAS VNA Tools version?
- METAS UncLib version?

second the `PlotCalibrationZ0andGamma.m` function works only with the following calibration standard types:
- OnWaferLineStandard
- OnWaferOffsetShortStandard
- PrimaryAirlineStandard
- PrimaryOffsetShortStandard
- SimpleLineStandard

none of the listed standard types are uses in the ` 06_TRL_Example_3.5mm(fm)` example. Sorry about that.
Take a look at `07_PrimaryCal_Example_3.5mm(f-m)` and then the `Opt_LRL_01.calcfg` .

Summery:
use the following commands in MATLAB:

>> LoadVNATools
>> NET.setStaticProperty('Metas.Vna.Tools.Global.DatabaseRootPath', 'C:\Users\Public\Documents\Metas.Vna.Tools\Database')
>> fp = 'C:\Users\Public\Documents\Metas.Vna.Tools\Projects\07_PrimaryCal_Example_3.5mm(f-m)\opt_LRL_01.calcfg'
>> PlotCalibrationZ0andGamma(fp)

Regards
Michael

Tomo Yokoyama

Oct 7, 2021, 11:26:46 AM10/7/21
to VNA Tools
Hi, Michael
Thanks for your guidance.
As for the versions of Matlab / Unclib & VNA Tools, here are the ones I am using currently
* Matlab: R2021a (9.10.0.1684407)
* VNA Tools & Unclib: 2.4.3

I tried to reproduce what you showed me.
Unfortunately, I received the error message below;
"Error using PlotCalibrationZ0andGamma (line6)
Message: Can't find start calibration
Source: Metas.VNA.Calibration.Config"

I tried to use different .calcfg under '09_OnWaferExample_GGB_CS-5'.
First, I tried 'TRL_01.calcfg'.  Then,  the error message said "Calibration must be optimization calibration".
So, I used 'Opt_01.calcfg', then I was able to plot Z0 and Gammas.
In the Z0 plots, I saw 5 traces.  Looking at Opt_01.calcfg, there are 5 lines used including THRU.
2 out of 5 traces of Real(Z0) are almost idealized. The same is for attenuation constant plots.
Are these 2 traces for THRU and Line10 (showing weighted table)?
How can I interpret these different Z0 and Gamma, which are computed on the lines on the same substrate / same line properties, I suppose?

*** I would like to learn how to set up optimization calibration.
Looks like I do need the optimization calibration to plot Z0 & Gamma.
Do I need to run a standard TRL before optimization calibration?
The optimization config shows the options of non-leaky (7 mask errors) to fully leaky (15 mask errors).
To run fully leaky optimized calibration, do I need to increase the number (and different types) of standard measurements?

Is there any good tutorial / examples for setting up and analyzing optimization calibration?

Thanks for your help.
Tomo

Michael Wollensack METAS

Oct 7, 2021, 11:35:08 AM10/7/21
to VNA Tools
Hi,

>  Unfortunately, I received the error message below;
>  "Error using PlotCalibrationZ0andGamma (line6)
> Message: Can't find start calibration
> Source: Metas.VNA.Calibration.Config

First run the `_Compute_01.cmd` script in `07_PrimaryCal_Example_3.5mm(f-m)`.

> Looks like I do need the optimization calibration to plot Z0 & Gamma.
yes