PNA E8364B communication problem

handan sakarya

Jun 24, 2020, 4:27:39 AM6/24/20
to VNA Tools
I could not control VNA with VNA Tools program. We are using GPIB usb adapter, and there is no read and write error on adapter software (NIMax).
In VNA Tools programme,  VNA  passed the Data Base\VNA Device\ Test Device.  However it is not doing any other applications, ie. do not make measurements, noise measurements etc. The error message on VNA Tools when making noise measurement is given below. Also, on the same time  the message on the VNA is  "SCPI error -113". How can I solve this problem?

Michael Wollensack METAS

Jun 24, 2020, 4:16:55 PM6/24/20
to VNA Tools
Hi,

can you please log the VISA traffic using NI IO Trace and send me the log file.

What NI VISA Version are you using?

Regards
Michael

handan sakarya

Jun 25, 2020, 2:34:19 AM6/25/20
to VNA Tools

Adapter model is GPIB USB HS
Driver version 2.7.3.49152
You can find the Log file at the attachment.

Regards,
Handan
NI-IO_Trace_LogFile.txt

Michael Wollensack METAS

Jun 25, 2020, 4:58:04 AM6/25/20
to VNA Tools
Hi,

1. what is your NI VISA Verion?
3. what is the visa resource name of your PNA
4. log the visa traffic when communicating from NI MAX.
5. Then log the visa traffic when you try to open the VNA from VNA Tools (DB / Test Device)

Regards
Michael

handan sakarya

Jun 29, 2020, 6:29:18 AM6/29/20
to VNA Tools
Hi Michael,
You can find the answers below,
1. NI Visa Version is 15.0
2. There is no HiSlip on the PNA (looak at the picture at the attachment). However, http://na.support.keysight.com/pna/help/latest/Programming/Learning_about_GPIB/How_to_Configure_for_GPIB_SCPI_and_SICL.htm says "HiSLIP has the same functionality as VXI 11 (SICL) with better performance. Therefore, it is enabled by default on the analyzer."
3. Visa resource name of PNA is GPIB0::16::INSTR
4. At the attachment
5. At the attachment

Re
NI_Max_Trace.nitrace
Picture_PNA.docx
VNA_from_VNA_Tools_Trace.nitrace

Michael Wollensack METAS

Jun 29, 2020, 10:16:14 AM6/29/20
to VNA Tools
Hi,

your Firmware of your PNA is very old. It still version 6 branch. Keysight changes some of the command to setup the traces. VNA Tools support PNAs which are running version 9 or newer. Version 7 could work, but it's not tested.

Any change that you update the firmware of your PNA?

Regards
Michael

Mr Skinner

Nov 10, 2023, 4:59:19 AM11/10/23
to VNA Tools
Hi Michael

I am having a similar issue but with the Keysight E5080B ENA.
Details as follows:

VNA Tools version 2.8.8578
ENA firmware version A.15.75.32 (64 bit)
NI Visa version 18.5
GPIB Address 16
HiSLIP Enabled, Address 0

When setting up the VNA Device using Agilent_ENA_Series driver, Test Device gives 'Instrument identification query passed' but VNA gives error message:
[SCPI: -113]: Undefined header; TRIG AVER

Visa Performance Test also passed.

Running any other measurements gives more similar SCPI command errors (undefined header, missing parameter).

Do you know the solution?

Best regards
James

Michael Wollensack METAS

Nov 10, 2023, 5:07:06 AM11/10/23
to VNA Tools
Hi,

the E5080A and the E5080B are based on the PNA firmware. So you need to select the Agilent PNA series driver in VNA Tools. Then it should work.

Please report back.

Regards
Michael

Mr Skinner

Nov 23, 2023, 7:24:43 AM11/23/23
to VNA Tools
Hi Michael,

I am glad it worked in the end.

Another questions is, are any of the drivers compatible with the HP 4395A analyzer?

Best regards
James

Michael Wollensack METAS

Nov 23, 2023, 11:57:24 AM11/23/23
to VNA Tools
Hi,

there is no driver for the HP 4395A.

There is a driver for the predecessor of it, the HP 8751A.

And there is as well a driver for the successor of it, the E5061B.

There is the possibility that you develop your own driver for it, see the Appendix called Drivers / Driver Development in the METAS VNA Tools - User Manual.

If we should develop that driver, were happy to do that, but not for free.

Regards
Michael

Mr Skinner

Nov 24, 2023, 5:40:49 AM11/24/23
to VNA Tools
Hi Michael,

Understood, I will look into it. Thank you for the helpful response.

Best regards
James