Data Conversion within VNA Tools program

Gamze Aydin

Jan 17, 2023, 6:49:00 AM1/17/23
to VNA Tools
Hi, I have impedance measurement and uncertainty values of the load  connector I have. I want  to get the s-parameter and uncertainty values using  these values. I know that I can do this data conversion process within the VNA Tools program. But I couldn’t find where and what steps to do. Can you help with this?
Best regards,
Gamze AYDIN

Michael Wollensack METAS

Jan 24, 2023, 12:27:35 AM1/24/23
to VNA Tools
Hi,

do you have a DC resistance value and a series inductance value which are valid for all frequency points? Or do you've values per frequency point?

In the first case you can generate a Resistance and Series Inductance calibration standard under Database / Calibration Standard.

In the second case you need to generate a sdatb-file from example using METAS UncLib, METAS VNA Tools and MATLAB.

Regards
Michael

Gamze Aydin

Jan 24, 2023, 2:49:34 AM1/24/23
to VNA Tools
Hi,
Thank you for your response. My goal is to define the load connector to the VNA Tools program as cal standard. For this load connector, the impedance and phase values for each frequency point and their uncertainty values are avaliable. The sample values for a frequency point are as follows;

Frequency : 0,04 kHz
Impedance Value : 49,97 Ohm
Unc. of Impedance : 2,0%
Phase Value : 0,00 degree
Unc. of Phase: 1,0 degree

Can I enter these values directly to define the load connector in the VNA Tools program as cal standard, and what steps should I follow to enter these values?

If I can’t use this data directly and I don’t have the DC resistance and a series inductance values, where should I enter the values in the format I mentioned above into the program? After entering the data, does the conversion process to the sdatb-file format that you described in the second step ensure that this data is obtained in the desired format(s-parameters)?

Best regards,

Gamze AYDIN

Michael Wollensack METAS

Jan 24, 2023, 3:00:29 AM1/24/23
to VNA Tools
Hi,

no you cannot enter those values directly in VNA Tools.

You've to convert those impedance values and uncertainties to S-parameter values and uncertainties.

You can do that with uncertainty propagation using either MATLAB or Python and METAS UncLib.

Regards
Michael