Choppy sound sluggish performance

][)

Mar 3, 2002, 9:23:14 AM3/3/02
Hi all

Im running win98 under an xp host my sound is terribly choppy and my
performance is not what it should be,, most importantly i need to improve
the sound,, im running nothing in my taskbar on the host (win xp) and
nothing but the vmware tools on the guest (win 98), i found the following
bit of info on the vmware support page and followed it to the best i could.
(skip next paragraph to see vmware info from support page)

i added the two variables that it speaks of to
sound.maxlength = 64
sound.smallblocksize = 64
i also tryed setting them to 128 and there was absolutly no difference when
i went back to check the vmx file i edited i notice the the two variables i
entered had dissapeared completly???? i have no clue why.
Please if anyone could help it would cure my latest head ache lol
please reply to Dark...@blueyonder.co.uk or reply to this post
thanks for reading this post everyone

Improving Sound Performance

If you notice that sound skips in your guest operating system, you may try
adding for two variables to your virtual machine's configuration file (.vmx
on Windows hosts, .cfg on Linux hosts). These variables are sound.maxLength
and sound.smallBlockSize.

VMware cannot provide you with specific settings to use; how these settings
affect your sound quality depends on many factors, including your
environment and the way you are employing sound. But here are some general
rules of thumb to use when setting these variables:

a.. Set these values to powers of 2, such as 64, 128 or 512.
b.. To overcome skipping, setting these values lower than 512 should help.
c.. The sound.maxLength setting should be greater than or equal to the
sound.smallBlockSize setting.

Dave Walker

Mar 3, 2002, 9:57:56 AM3/3/02
Did you remeber to

a) Close down the guest OS (not suspend it)
b) Close down the guest VM at the VMWare level
c) Reopen the guest VM at the VMWare level
d) Restart the guest VM

If you do not do these steps then changing the .vmx file will have no
effect.

Dave

Manuel Krause

Mar 3, 2002, 10:35:36 AM3/3/02
to Darklight

[ this is from:
http://www.vmware.com/support/ws3/doc/ws30_vidsound4.html#1014605 ]

Hi!

I'm running Win98 from a Linux Host and had to improve the guests sound
quality, too. I had to experiment with much higher values than suggested
above and it was better setting these two variables to equal values.
There was only one point in [64, 128, 256 ... 65536] where it was
acceptable. The last lines in my .cfg file now look like:

# Manus sound enhancement
sound.smallBlockSize = 16384
sound.maxLength = 16384

I don't know the syntax of the .vmx file so I can't help there, maybe
you've forgotton a newline?

I found out that sound quality highly depends on the RTC device beeing
connected. If I turned it off the overall performance was better but
listening to .wav s in MediaPlayer e.g. was ugly.

Best wishes,

Manuel

][)

Mar 3, 2002, 11:32:14 AM3/3/02
Problem sorted thanks very much for all your help Dave and Manuel

"Manuel Krause" <manuel...@netscape.net> wrote in message