Portable machine for different hosts

Hans-Peter Diettrich

May 22, 2008, 11:25:57 PM5/22/08
In my move from Windows to Linux I encounter several problems with my
existing virtual machines. Please note that the VM's stay in place on my
HD, I only boot different host systems on my machine.

Some pathes seem to exist in the config files, which no more work on an
Linux host. Where should I look for such pathes?

A special variation of the path problem exists for shared folders, which
of course have different pathes on Windows and Linux. I already added
both pathes, so that I have one working in either environment.
Nontheless these folders now have different names in the guest system.
What can I do, so that the shared folders retain the same name inside
the guest?

Another problem is the question "machine moved or copied", after booting
a different host system. What makes VMWare think that the machine has
changed its location?

Do there exist more known pitfalls, when using a VM on different hosts?

DoDi