Multiple Monitors?

Anonymous Coward

Nov 15, 2008, 6:27:48 AM11/15/08

I have read all the posts going back 6 months in all the
vmware.* groups, and could not find an answer to this question:

I want to have three 1600x1200 monitors in front of me that
I can switch between displaying a 3-wide Windows XP desktop
(Windows running on a VM) and a 3-wide Linux desktop (Linux
running on a VM). To the right of this I want to have a
1024x768 monitor that I can switch between displaying a
single Windows desktop (Another Windows running on another
VM) and a single Linux desktop (Another Linux running on
another VM). I want all the VMs to run on one 64-bit host
OS (have not decided Windows or Linux), but I don't care
whether I end up using Workstation and a quad-monitor
video setup on the host or esx-server with two extra
(1 triple monitor. 1 single monitor) PCs doing the displaying.

Can this be done?

Hans-Peter Diettrich

Nov 15, 2008, 10:07:49 AM11/15/08
Anonymous Coward schrieb:

> I want to have three 1600x1200 monitors in front of me that
> I can switch between displaying a 3-wide Windows XP desktop
> (Windows running on a VM) and a 3-wide Linux desktop (Linux
> running on a VM).

Best you get a host system with good support for multiple desktops
(Linux). Then you can run your VMs on different or same desktops, and
switch between them in the host system.

With regards to VMWare, you may have to use windowed mode instead of
full screen, in order to extend the VM desktop over multiple physical
screens. (I'm not up-to-date with the state of the art).

DoDi