[Windows XP Pro] VMWare Server 2.0.1 doesn't see my .vmx file

Jethrie-JDuprez in the news

Apr 8, 2009, 6:56:57 AM4/8/09
Hello,

I have installed VMWare 2.0.1 on a Windows host.
I have copied in "D:/Virtual Machines" a VM "myvm2" formerly created
on another Windows XP Pro host, with a former version of VMWare
server, (the vmware.log file states "version=1.0.6
build=build-91891").

When I use the Web interface to add a VM in the inventory, I can
browse down to "MyHost/Standard/myvm2" folder, but the Contents pane
is empty ("no content", and "Information" pane displays "O Files, O
Subfolders").

What can go wrong? What more can I check or should I provide here to
get a clue?

Thanks in advance, and best regards.

J.

Hans-Peter Diettrich

Apr 8, 2009, 7:13:27 PM4/8/09
Jethrie-JDuprez in the news schrieb:

> When I use the Web interface to add a VM in the inventory, I can
> browse down to "MyHost/Standard/myvm2" folder, but the Contents pane
> is empty ("no content", and "Information" pane displays "O Files, O
> Subfolders").
>
> What can go wrong? What more can I check or should I provide here to
> get a clue?

Check for some mysterious files and directories of the same name as your
.vmx file. When there exist such entries in the VM directory, with an
added .lck or other extension, some tool (virus, Windows itself?)
prevents access to the VM files.

I moved my virtual machines onto Linux drives, where they are
unreachable for Windows, and use Linux as the host system.

DoDi

Jethrie-JDuprez in the news

Apr 9, 2009, 6:53:38 AM4/9/09
On 9 avr, 01:13, Hans-Peter Diettrich <DrDiettri...@aol.com> wrote:
> Jethrie-JDuprez in the news schrieb:
>
> > When I use the Web interface to add a VM in the inventory, I can
> > browse down to "MyHost/Standard/myvm2" folder, but the Contents pane
> > is empty ("no content", and "Information" pane displays "O Files, O
> > Subfolders").
>
> > What can go wrong? What more can I check or should I provide here to
> > get a clue?
>
> Check for some mysterious files and directories of the same name as your
> .vmx file. When there exist such entries in the VM directory, with an
> added .lck or other extension, some tool (virus, Windows itself?)
> prevents access to the VM files.

Thank you.
No .lck file, but in addition to the .vmx, there are: myvm2.vmdk,
myvm2.vmsd, myvm2before.nvram

Your suggestion for the file names made me question all these files
there; one of them is disturbing indeed: myvm2before.nvram, which does
not match myvm2.* : the former owner of the VM told me that
"myvm2before" is a historical name, for some reason not all files got
renamed at one point.

According to the following article (http://www.vmware.com/support/ws5/
doc/ws_learning_files_in_a_vm.html), this file should be named per
the .vmx file. I did, however, try to rename it to "myvm2.nvram", but
this didn't help.

I gave up on upgrading, and installed VMWare Server 1.0.6 instead: I
could succesfully add and start the VM.
For schedule reasons, I can't go on investigating why VMWServer 2 does
not load it. Letting this info for the record...

Thank you again for paying attention.

J.